cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for a new feature on site

Highlighted
Vito L Member Since: Dec 21, 2016
1 of 9

It would be interesting to introduce an automatic translator on the chat, Skype Translator style.

What do you think?

Greetings

Vito

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 9

Hi Vito,

If you are using Google Chrome, you can install Google Translate extension and you'll be able to translate any selected text in your Messages.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 9

You still can copy/paste your communications from and to Google Translator. I would be, however, very cautious with this. I'm not sure one can rely on machine translation for client/provider communication, this can lead to serious miscommunication issues.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 9

One problem is that automatic machine translations often make the speaker sound like a moron. Even if she is quite intelligent.

Highlighted
5 of 9

For Preston, I am sure of my intelligence, you have the same certainty?

Highlighted
6 of 9

Thanks Valeria and Rene, in fact already proceed in this manner. With a little care we can avoid misunderstandings. It seemed useful to avoid double-pass, in any case those unwilling to use it could disarm.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 9

Vito, I don't know if you are a client or a freelancer, but Google translate is only useful in very limited circumstances (I do use it, when I am researching websites in languages I really do not understand).I do not think it could work as a sort of middle agent between client and freelancer if their respective languages do not allow for an understandable one-on-one communication. In fact the mind boggles at the thought of Upwork having to cope with a dispute or arbitration in this way.

Highlighted
8 of 9

I understand what you say.

In reality, however, I think the translation systems are used very often.

Otherwise all non-English speaking customers or with little knowledge of English would not be on Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 9

@Vito L wrote:

I understand what you say.

In reality, however, I think the translation systems are used very often.

Otherwise all non-English speaking customers or with little knowledge of English would not be on Upwork.

Vito, the "official" language of Upwork is English. You can of course use an automatic translation system yourself if you are struggling to communicate with your freelancers. But Upwork wants its users to communicate in English and they can't help with disputes for communication not in English. It's unlikely they will offer an internal automated translation system (which is NOT free by the way, this would cost them money, and we already know they're not profitable) when there are plenty of free options available for users externally.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS