cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Request for photo of driver's license???

Highlighted
Anita M Member Since: Jul 4, 2017
1 of 17

Hi,

I have been a frelance writer for several years, but am new to Upwork.  

A company I recently sent a proposal to asked me to send them a clear photo of my driver's license as a form of ID before I can work for them.  As a freelance writer that has worked for educational publishing companies, I have never come across this before.  So in this age of ID theft, I just wanted to make sure this was a legitimate type of ID request before I sent it.

Thanks!

Anita

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 17

It is a scam. You should report the job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 17

Go to the ? icon at the top of your page, and click on get help>choose your user type (freelancer)>select issue>give details (in the R.H. box). Here you report the client and give the url to the job. Then press continue, and then keep going until finally you can submit a request.

I'm hoping though that a mod will see this thread and report the job for you.

In the meantime read as many help pages as you can particularly this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460 and the advice about avoiding scams: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Highlighted
Anita M Member Since: Jul 4, 2017
4 of 17

Thanks!  I will do that.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 17

Hi Anita, 

I have sent the job post and the message sent to you by the client to our Marketplace Quality Team. They will review and take actions on the job post and the client's account accordingly. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Sarah B Member Since: Aug 22, 2017
6 of 17

Did you get an answer on this? I also am not very comfortable adding my drivers license, it wouldnt even let me submit a proposal without an Id..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 17

re: "Did you get an answer on this? I also am not very comfortable adding my drivers license"

It's optional. Only need to do this in order to submit proposals to U.S.-only jobs.

Most jobs are not U.S.-only.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 17

Hi Sarah, 

I would like to clarify that the issue of Anita above was a client requesting for a copy of her driver's license. In your case, you are being requested to submit your ID to verify your location so that you can apply for jobs that require a U.S. location. 

You will be able to submit proposals for jobs once you have completed your profile, and you have picked out your membership plan

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Cameron V Member Since: Apr 16, 2018
9 of 17

If I'm understanding this "new U.S.--I.D. layer" in our Proposal Submission process (as I read the "I" section when that popped up), this is Upwork's attempt to verify that we (American's) are in fact based in the US. It also suggests myriad other forms of ID. Even passports.

I have to agree with several other poster's requests for clarity that in this age of ID theft, many of us are becoming "gunshy" about any additional exposure. Is it possible there might be some assurances that once received and processed that Upwork would guarantee that the ID document is then destroyed? Probably a pipe dream, but something to consider. 

Cris G Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
10 of 17

I did a chat with Upworks 2 months ago concerning their request for a pic of our state ID.  I was told that I could be assured that only the appropriate people at Upworks would see the ID.  When I asked where these people were located.  I was told that they work all over the world and that for security Upworks can not tell me where those people or storage is at.  I asked if I could use my State Tax number instead to prove my location.  I was told that no, only State ID, Passport, or Green Card were acceptable.  I was and am still frustrated with this response.  I am a U.S bord citizen,  I do not have $150 to obtain a passport, I do not need a Green Card.  I have had several requests for proposals that I had to explain why I could not submit a proposal because of this.  I do not have a solution other than Sales tax number.  I am a freelance seamstress that sews from home to be able to take care of 2 mentally and 3 physically disabled family members that live with us.  Upworks would have been an ideal situation.  I am sad, angry, and frustrated that Upworks can not find a better way that does not endanger our identity but yet confirms our location.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS