cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Request for photo of driver's license???

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
11 of 17

The company is Upwork, not Upworks.

I don't understand your problem. Upwork has assured you that only staff who need to see your ID will see it, yet you are unwilling to use it because some of those people are located outside the U.S.? Some of the biggest and most damaging data breaches have happened right here in the good, old U.S. of A. Your fear of sharing your D.L. here is irrational and depriving you of income opportunities. 

Carsten G Member Since: May 23, 2019
12 of 17

Phyllis. Your response is unempathetic and almost seems pressuring. I also am NOT comfortable with sharing/posting personal info to the web in this day/age of cyber threats. If Facebook and NASA and everyone else can get hacked, why does Upwork think they're so protected? Get Real! No Thanks Upwork. Not worth the risk now with this requirement. I'm out, lol!

Brenda D Member Since: Jul 30, 2019
13 of 17

I agree with you.  No empathy at all.

Highlighted
David N Member Since: Nov 19, 2019
14 of 17

we can't just go on the word of a company that they won't give out our information. this info is digital now, and can be copied over and over again. the best way to stop this is not have it digitized from the start. upwork is standing in the way of free trade. take down the toll booth, the information is too critical to provide. i wanted to start working, but i'm not willing to give out any more info.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 17

re: "i wanted to start working, but i'm not willing to give out any more info."

You definitely don't need to provide any more information than you are comfortable sharing. Everything about Upwork is voluntary.

Certain actions are required to unlock certain privileges, but that is true everywhere.

If you do trust Upwork to not give out sensitive information it asks of you, then it would indeed be illogical to give Upwork that information.

I have found working through Upwork to be advantageous and profitable, and I have found its identity verification requests trivial and without any negative consequences. But I can't make that decision for other people.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 17

re: "If Facebook and NASA and everyone else can get hacked, why does Upwork think they're so protected?"

There are probably plenty of people who think that if Facebook and NASA and everyone else can get hacked, then their information is already out there.

So why worry about sending some info to Upwork so that we can earn some extra $$$ in this brave new privacy-free world.

Personally: I have no objection whatsoever to people who value their privacy. But Upwork's purpose has never been to help people maximize their privacy.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
17 of 17

Hi David, 

I understand how this can be a cause of concern for you. Please know that we take your privacy seriously. We are always working to help ensure Upwork is a secure platform for our users. Access to Upwork is encrypted using Transport Layer Security (TLS) and for any sensitive information you provide, such as tax information, we encrypt the transmission of that information using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. You may review our privacy policy here.

Access to the information you provide during identity verification is reserved exclusively for trusted Upwork agents and our secure third-party vendor. The vendor does not store any of that data, and after 30 days, Upwork deletes the image you submitted to verify your identity. We do not otherwise share any of the information you submitted to us for verification purposes.

I would like to clarify that on Section 1.6 Identity and Location Verification it says that - 

"When you register for an Account and from time to time thereafter, your Account will be subject to verification, including, but not limited to, validation against third-party databases or the verification of one or more official government or legal documents that confirm your identity, your location, and your ability to act on behalf of your business on Upwork... When requested, you must timely provide us with complete information about yourself and your business, which includes, but is not limited to, providing official government or legal documents."

Please continue with the verifying your account to be able to use Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS