🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Request to Interview Via Skype
Page options
s_layton
Community Member

Request to Interview Via Skype

Hey all! I'm new to Upwork and have read through the safety protocols. I received an invite from a potential client today to interview via Skype. That's not allowed, right?

Also, browsing the forum I found similar verbiage in another post in which someone encountered a scammer.  The Skype invite itself is a little bizarre in that it tells me how to set it up and that I must stay online to finish the interveiw process as soon as it is setup. Also, it states that the project will be removed as soon as the OPT-OUT fee has been processed by Upwork to avoid application congestion. I know I'm new, but that doesn't seem right. 

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Stephanie, this is a known scam.

Stop communicating with that person. Block him.

And to answer your question....

Yes, as of June 26, 2020, interviews must be conducted using the Skype Messages tool.

Skype may be used after a contract has begun.

I had not responded. I will block them. Thank you for your reply. 

AndreaG

Hi Stephanie,

I would like to confirm that it is against Upwork's TOS for clients to request your contact information and communicate outside of the platform before a contract is in place. I'll also flag the job you're referring to to the team for a review and they will take appropriate action as per our processes.

I'm sorry you encountered this kind of behaviour in the marketplace. Please check out this help article for some advice on Staying Safe on Upwork.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
s_layton
Community Member

Thank you Andrea. I appreciate the reply and the links.

Hello Andrea,

This happened to me this morning. Am I able to flag the jobs that responded to me by asking for Skype interviews? 

Thank you,

Liz

Hi Liz,

Yes, please do! If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to report it. Here's how to send a flag.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths