🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Requesting Profile Review and Feedback
Page options
philm002
Community Member

Requesting Profile Review and Feedback

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to post this but I think the section on "New to Upwork" Is best. So I have been looking for jobs for a few months now. I did get a couple of interviews but they did not pan out (the clients ghosted me and then hired someone else). Overall, I am having a hard time landing interviews. I have applied to 100+ jobs in the past 90 days and the return is very low.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could review my profile and give me some feedback on how I can improve? Here is a link to my profile: https://www.upwork.com/fl/phillipmobley2

Also, here is a "template" (that I created) for when I apply to jobs. The proposal is usually 3 paragraphs long where the third paragrapgh highlights projects that I have done that are similiar to the job posting. If possible, would I also be able to get some feedback from the community? Thank you. Any feedback is greatly appreciated:

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Phillip**Edited for community guidelines**. I am contacting you as I am interested in contributing to your project “[project name]”.

I am an electronics and software design engineer with over 6 years of experience in various aspects of hardware, software, and embedded systems design. My expertise in hardware design includes PCB design, from schematic capture and layout to assembly and testing, along with design for manufacture (both small scale prototyping, and oversight of large-scale production runs through contract manufacturers). My software and embedded systems design expertise includes programming with various microcontroller platforms (Atmel, SiLabs, Cypress, Microchip, etc.) with programming competencies in C/C++, C#, VB.NET, Python, and LUA.

For additional information on my background and experience, I have a portfolio on my profile which showcases my previous work. I look forward to discussing how we can move your project forward.

5 REPLIES 5
j_nino_bedoya
Community Member

Hello, Phillip!

I'm not an expert, and I've been working here since January but...

1) Maybe is your hourly rate. Although you have experience outside of Upwork, a good-looking profile here contains Upwork-related experience only (IMO). Apply only to entry-level jobs first.

2) Verify your skills with tests.

3) Never copy-paste your proposal. Everyone wants to feel "special", so take the time to write a personalized proposal to each client. And as short as possible, don't rewrite what's on your profile. The first line (after greeting, of course) should be "experience related to this position" or "skills related to this position" and that's it. 

Imagine you're hiring someone, you won't read the long template, you won't waste your time; you know sometimes a client receives +50 proposals, he's not gonna read them all, he's gonna read the first lines. He won't care if you have experience because as I said, "everyone wants to feel special". Sorry if any typos, is late.

These tips have worked for me, and although I don't earn that much, I think I've been doing well.

Best regards!

Juan.

j_nino_bedoya
Community Member

When I submit a proposal is just:

Hi there!

I have experience in this and this and this. I'm a good fit for this position because of this and this and this. {now, enough with data and give your strengths and weaknesses, describe yourself} My strengths are these and weaknesses are these. {now leave the conversation open by asking questions, and, at the same time, you will show interest in the project}

Could you please this? Can you tell me this? Do you want something like this? 

Best regards!

Juan.

And that's all I do, of course, I don't get hired always, I think that's almost impossible since there are people more qualified than me, but then again, I'm doing fine at the moment. Just waiting for my monthly connects

jr-translation
Community Member

Phillip M wrote:

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to post this but I think the section on "New to Upwork" Is best. So I have been looking for jobs for a few months now. I did get a couple of interviews but they did not pan out (the clients ghosted me and then hired someone else). Overall, I am having a hard time landing interviews. I have applied to 100+ jobs in the past 90 days and the return is very low.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could review my profile and give me some feedback on how I can improve? Here is a link to my profile: https://www.upwork.com/fl/phillipmobley2

Also, here is a "template" (that I created) for when I apply to jobs. The proposal is usually 3 paragraphs long where the third paragrapgh highlights projects that I have done that are similiar to the job posting. If possible, would I also be able to get some feedback from the community? Thank you. Any feedback is greatly appreciated:

To Whom It May Concern:

Try to find a name on the feedbacks from other freelancers

My name is Phillip**Edited for community guidelines**. I am contacting you as I am interested in contributing to your project “[project name]”.

I am an electronics and software design engineer with over 6 years of experience in various aspects of hardware, software, and embedded systems design. My expertise in hardware design includes PCB design, from schematic capture and layout to assembly and testing, along with design for manufacture (both small scale prototyping, and oversight of large-scale production runs through contract manufacturers). My software and embedded systems design expertise includes programming with various microcontroller platforms (Atmel, SiLabs, Cypress, Microchip, etc.) with programming competencies in C/C++, C#, VB.NET, Python, and LUA.

This is too much "useless" information. Delete everything that is not needed for the job you are applying for.

I have four lines with general information about me and my experience and then start a new paragraph only for the job.

For additional information on my background and experience, I have a portfolio on my profile which showcases my previous work. I look forward to discussing how we can move your project forward.

Invite the client to look at your profile and to ask questions.

When you send a job proposal, you shouldn't talk about yourself.

Don't even invite the client to look at your profile.

The client already knows how to click on your name and read your profile.

When you send a proposal, you simply tell the client how you will work on their project and make it a success. Talk about the client's project. Not yourself.

Hello all!

Thank you everyone for all of the feedback! I will definitily take these into consideration and re-work my proposals!

Again, thank you all for the feedback!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths