🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Requests for interview outside of Upwork
Page options
rachel_collins13
Community Member

Requests for interview outside of Upwork

I'm new to Upwork, and from my understanding there should not be requests to interview or have contact outside of Upwork before hiring. 

I have not received 2 responses to reqeusts, 1 asking me to go to skype and providing a link to interview for the position.  The other asks me to use an app called telegram.

Are these normal requests?  Or am I getting hit with scammers right away?

1 - Your cover letter was reviewed and we selected you to take the interview for the job position! Kindly add the interviewer on Skype.
 **Link**

2 - I was excited to review such a brilliant resume, and I must say your charismatic skills are top-notch and stands out to be what my company wants. It would be an honor to invite you to an online interview with our hiring manager**Edited for Community Guidelines**. He would conduct the online interview with you and discuss this job position in detail with full descriptions, pay scale and benefits, etc. To do this, you’ll need to download the Telegram app on your smartphone, tablet or computer and set up a screen name with Telegram for this interview session, you should add his direct Telegram Username**Edited for Community Guidelines**, after you fully set up the Telegram platform. He will be online in 20 minutes from now, and your work entry code **Edited for Community Guidelines** which would serve as an identification number throughout this online hiring process. A quick response matters in this beneficial position. We look forward to having you on The Team. Regards.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
e99eea8c
Community Member

Wow, this a classic written scam that I've seen in emails, Craigslist, ebay and offer up.  I would totally ignore it and report it if you can.  These scammers are using all kinds of platforms to hook vulnerable folks.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
e99eea8c
Community Member

Wow, this a classic written scam that I've seen in emails, Craigslist, ebay and offer up.  I would totally ignore it and report it if you can.  These scammers are using all kinds of platforms to hook vulnerable folks.  

Thanks for confirming.  I kind of figured, I think I need to be better and more careful with my selections for proposals. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Since you are not allowed to do what they suggest these are not normal requests. 

roberty1y
Community Member

"I was excited to review such a brilliant resume, and I must say your charismatic skills are top-notch and stands out to be what my company wants. It would be an honor to invite you to an online interview with our hiring manager"...

Classic scamspeak. Nobody addresses an uproven newcomer to the site in such flattering terms. And, as other commenters have said, they were asking you to do something which could have got you banned from the site if you complied, i.e. contact them outside of Upwork before a contract was started. 

m_terrazas
Community Member

Rachel C wrote:

I'm new to Upwork, and from my understanding there should not be requests to interview or have contact outside of Upwork before hiring. 

I have not received 2 responses to reqeusts, 1 asking me to go to skype and providing a link to interview for the position.  The other asks me to use an app called telegram.

Are these normal requests?  Or am I getting hit with scammers right away?

1 - Your cover letter was reviewed and we selected you to take the interview for the job position! Kindly add the interviewer on Skype.
 **Link**

2 - I was excited to review such a brilliant resume, and I must say your charismatic skills are top-notch and stands out to be what my company wants. It would be an honor to invite you to an online interview with our hiring manager**Edited for Community Guidelines**. He would conduct the online interview with you and discuss this job position in detail with full descriptions, pay scale and benefits, etc. To do this, you’ll need to download the Telegram app on your smartphone, tablet or computer and set up a screen name with Telegram for this interview session, you should add his direct Telegram Username**Edited for Community Guidelines**, after you fully set up the Telegram platform. He will be online in 20 minutes from now, and your work entry code **Edited for Community Guidelines** which would serve as an identification number throughout this online hiring process. A quick response matters in this beneficial position. We look forward to having you on The Team. Regards.

Good for you for reading the TOS (even if you didn't fully understand it) and asking here before doing anything else.
Make sure to flag the jobs if they are still active.

d489c6d0
Community Member

I think my inquiry has already been answered, but just for the sake of clarity: multiple times I have seen requests to download an app to engage with "clients" offering work. I've passed on all of them; I'm leary and suspicious of well known apps, let alone random requests to add another one. Am I on the right track, or is there an exception? And if this is against TOS, how are these folks getting by on the platform? (Seriously, I'm just looking for clarity)

Almost all of them are certainly scams. You are right to avoid them. And as for "And if this is against TOS, how are these folks getting by on the platform?" None of us know.

Lemuel D wrote:

And if this is against TOS, how are these folks getting by on the platform? (Seriously, I'm just looking for clarity)

They're on the platform because they're making thousands of dollars from unwitting freelancers while barely having to lift a finger, and there are probably hundreds of them, posting scams under different names and email addresses faster than Upwork can take them down. However, you'll occasionally come across new clients who simply aren't aware of the rules, so if you're not sure whether something is a scam, just tell the client that you need to keep messaging on the platform (Upwork also has calling and video conferencing features, so there's absolutely no need to go elsewhere). If they continue trying to persuade you, report them. 

Thank you! I assumed as much, but wanted to get clarification. I know now how to deal with this. Thanks again for the information. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths