🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Resolving a disagreement over the estimates
Page options
mnkutster
Community Member

Resolving a disagreement over the estimates

Hi community!

I have a new contract. The work is split into tasks. The client asked me to estimate work hours on the first task. I did and started working. Then the client contacted me and asked to stop all work because it turned out he had his own estimate in mind which I already exceeded. Now I have to bargain over the estimates instead of working.

I am thinking about compensating the client for the hours billed and ending this contract. Which is the best way to do it? Should I delete the hours from my work diary now or should I refund the money afterwards? And how will each strategy affect my rating and JSS?

1 REPLY 1
wescowley
Community Member

If the work was this week, you can delete it from the diary. If it was earlier, you'll have to do a refund. Either way, you'll wind up with a contract closed with no pay and probably a poor review with poor private feedback, both of which will negatively impact your JSS when it's finally calculated for you.

The best approach is to make sure expectations about the cost and turnaround time are set before you take the contract.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths