🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Restore Deactivated Account
Page options
eolson80
Community Member

Restore Deactivated Account

I've had to create a new account just to ask this question to community. Upwork Support has been completely avoiding this issue and I'm fed up and desperate.

Here's the issue:

A few weeks ago, I received notification that I was due to do my identity verification. No problem. I took a photo of my ID, and of my utility bill. I didn't do the utility bill properly, I was notified, so I went and took a new photo of it. Out of the blue, I get the message saying that it was not sufficient and that my account would now be deactivated indefinitely.

Imagine my confusion! What went wrong? No answer. I sent message after message after message, getting only the vaguest of answers that they decided that the decision was correct and there would be no further communication.

Baffled, I decided to make a new account. Different email address. Nope. I was told I violated TOS on the original account and that I should resolve it first. This was the first time I heard of this!

I tried again. I emailed support and asked for clarification. What did I do with my utility bill and identification process that violated TOS?! No answer. Just that they looked back at my history and agreed it should be deactivated. No further communication.

I went through my entire email account and ran into what was possibly the issue, except how could I be faulted for this miscommunication?! Here's what I found: A missed email with the link to do the video verification. Why would they send that to me at the same time they said my initial photo verification was incorrect and redo it?? So am I deactivated because I missed that video link??

I'm a single mom trying to keep my whole family afloat in the middle of this hell of COVID and problems galore. I'm about to lose my house if I don't resume my work as a freelancer. I would very much love to resolve this--I've tried calling, I've tried emailing. My answers are not satisfactory and would very much love to speak to someone in power for a thorough discussion about this!

5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Esther, 

I'd like to check this for you. Please send me a PM by clicking on my name, and kindly share the details of the account you're referring to. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I just spoke with her. She is unable to PM any information because the account is completely deactivated. Further, her emails to support is ignored.

mkt400
Community Member

Not sure how Upworks works, but large tech companies like Google and Facebook have automated responses, a very basic artificial intelligence will reply to your requests, so they are usually vage and general buecause they try to cover all the possibilities the email is triggered with.

This might be what has happened to you. Try reaching out for a human; I had problems with a client's account on Facebook, I sent over 20 emails, dozens of messages messages, chats, several automated calls... before I finaly was contacted by a real person, she solved the issue in a few minutes.

Don't give up, have a clear picture your account will be activated, that you'll have a lot of projects on Upworks and your family will be well and taken care of.

Hi All,

We won't be able to discuss the status of a user's account here in the Community for privacy and security reasons. If there is an account hold or suspension, the team notifies the account owner directly.

Please, refer to this help article for general information about common reasons for account suspension. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

So therein lies the plot. Upwork refuses to engage with someone that wants to use Upwork. She has not violated any terms or policies but Upwork refuses to communicate with her -- going so far as to shout her down in this forums as well.

This is typical of how Upwork treats the workers on the platform. They always side with the paying people and with themselves and completely ignores **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths