cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resume

rosaia47
Rosaia S Member Since: May 7, 2016
1 of 8

I have sent a proposal, had an ivite to chat. Now l have been asked to send my resume to there private email? I am not happy about this and wonder if this is a scam??? 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 8

Rosaia:

Yes, it is probably a scam.

Clients on Upwork DO NOT NEED your resume.

That is what your profile page is for.

Clients do not need to communicate with you via private email until you have been hired. (And not necessarily even then.)

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

It is theoretically possible that this is a new client who simply doesn't know how Upwork functions.

If you don't want to risk losing a real job opportunity, it is easy to handle this situation. Tell the client:

"Franklin:

Thank you for your invitation. I would be happy to work on this job. Please go ahead and use the Hire button on your Upwork client-side interface to send me an official offer at my posted hourly rate. I will accept the job offer. After that, I will be happy to send you my private email address or communicate however you prefer. Also, I would invite you to look at my Upwork profile page and portfolio for any resume information you might be interested in. After I have been hired I will be happy to format information as a formal resume or in format you prefer while using the Upwork time-tracker to log my time."

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
4 of 8

I wouldn't send anything that includes a real-world address or phone number. I would also hold off on on an e-mail until I was fairly sure this wasn't a scam.

Why do they need a resumé? This is Upwork. This is not a place where clients typically hire by resumé.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
5 of 8

I am often asked to provide a resume.  I scrub all the personal information except for my name.  I think because I'm in the legal field, my clients want to see exactly what firms I've worked with in the past.  Doesn't bother me at all.

2d318873
Community Leader
Philip D Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
6 of 8

Does your profile include your work history and qualifications? If not, that could be the reason why they're asking for you to submit you resume.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
7 of 8

Philip - my profile is all-inclusive.  I work for lawyers and they like to hold a piece of paper in their little hands.  Just the nature of the beast.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Rosaia,

The team checked the job and the client you are referring to and discovered that they were violating Upwork ToS. Please, don't communicate with the client any further, their Upwork account has been closed.

~ Valeria
Untitled