🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Returning Connects After Being Scammed
Page options
ryuumurasaki
Community Member

Returning Connects After Being Scammed

Hello!

I am new to UpWork and was finally messaged about my first job. I understand that taking payment off platform violates TOS, but I was invited to do the interview on Google Hangouts. That probably should have been a red flag there, but I did the interview and sent more information that I should have before realizing. I knew it was a scam when he told me he'd send me the computer and necessary software on a $400 proofreading project. 

Definitely not a good first experience to have, but there are so many other people on here that DO have good experiences that I thought I might try again. I was wondering, however, if the connects used to submit the proposal can be returned once you know you've been scammed and subsequently reported the user? Seeing as how I literally cannot afford to purchase any, and don't understand what they're used for in the first place, I'd like to use them wisely, compared to having them wasted on scams. 

Thanks

Crystina

4 REPLIES 4
lysis10
Community Member

If you report the job and it's taken down (in this case it would be), then your connects are returned. 

You have to buy connects though, so if you can't buy any then you're stuck anyway and won't be able to bid on anything. 

I know. I still don't understand what they're for. But they give me 20 free ones. And if I can do well on one job that can invite me to later jobs, I won't necessarily need them. Otherwise, the likelihood of me using this platform afterwards is slim.

There are freelancers who do well on the platform.  There are others who will never earn money.  If you have real-life experiences you will have a better chance.  

But you have no chance if you don't INVEST in connects and try.  

Hi Crystina, 

I'm glad to know that you were able to identify the red flag before proceeding with the job. To answer your question, Connects are virtual tokens you use to submit proposals/bids to jobs in the Upwork marketplace. You may click on the link I have noted above for more information about Connects. 

Since you are new here, I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I hope these help, good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths