Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAMMERS in Editing/Proofreading Group

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 20

Hi Jessica,

The duplicate job posts and related client account have already been removed from the platform by our Marketplace Quality team.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Jessica B Member Since: Mar 13, 2017
12 of 20

I just got another invitation for the job I posted about earlier, about 30 minutes ago. Are you saying that job has since been removed? These people are KILLING my desire to try to find work on here.

Highlighted
13 of 20

Yes, Jessica. I can confirm that the most recent invite has also been archived because the team took actions against the client's account. I'm sorry this is causing you frustration. Unfortunately, new freelancers tend to receive more of these invites. Many established freelancers have shared here in the Community that once they become more experienced on the platform they receive fewer or none of these invites.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Jessica B Member Since: Mar 13, 2017
14 of 20

That makes me feel better. Thank you!

Highlighted
Tacara D Member Since: Mar 11, 2017
15 of 20

I just started in Up Work and am very excited to start working! However, I feel that almost every invite I have received is a scam, as they are all asking to interview on Google Hangouts, and one even said she wanted to pay through the company, not Up Work. Is there a way to screen these better, I do not want to waste my time, but I do not want to miss out on a legitimate job as well. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 20

re: "Is there a way to screen these better, I do not want to waste my time, but I do not want to miss out on a legitimate job as well. "

Tacara:

You can save a lot of time.

Ignore ALL invitations that you receive from out of the blue. They are ALL scams.

You need to focus ONLY on jobs that you apply to yourself. Many of those will be scams as well, but many of those will be legitimate.

Things will change when you gain more experience on Upwork.

I ONLY receive legitimate, quality invitations from real clients with real jobs. And when I apply for jobs, they are all legitimate. This is typical for experienced freelancers with in-demand skills. Something you can look forward to.

Highlighted
17 of 20

Hi Tacara,

I checked and the team has already taken actions against most client accounts you received spam invites from. I'll make sure all of them are reviewed. 

Check out this post Lena put together and hopefully these tips will help you avoid questionable jobs in the future.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Tacara D Member Since: Mar 11, 2017
18 of 20

Thank you!

Highlighted
Cassandra L Member Since: Mar 14, 2017
19 of 20

So I was invited to interview for a position with a company through a message on Upwork. Then suddenly the position was flagged as inappropriate job posting. 

So had contacted me via Google Hangouts as requested via interview request and it was going ok till this morning. When they stated that their investor would sending a check for office supplies and I was to go through their vendor, and their vendor only has a working relationship with them, so they will contact the vendors. 

Anyone think this seems fishy? 

Highlighted
20 of 20

Hi Cassandra,

Please, do not continue communicating with these people via Google Hangout. The invite has been archived because it was inappropriate and violated Upwork ToS. Actions have been taken against the client's account as well. Please, see my posts earlier on this thread for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled