🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Safety and Success
Page options
jonesy22
Community Member

Safety and Success

Hello fellow freelancers!

I am looking for tips from experienced freelancers on how to be safe and sucessful here on Upwork. Here are my questions:

-Is it safe that I put what college I go to on my page, as well as where I am employed? Does everyone else do this?

-Is it okay to provide samples directly to clients? Or should I keep all of my samples on my page? I write poetry and I have a fictional short-story that was published in my school's journal. Should I worry about people "stealing" my work?

-I am in the process of creating a blog, is it a good idea for me to provide a link to my blog once it is finished? I also plan to post my poems/stories on the blog.

-How can I avoid scammers?

-What are some of the best ways that I can improve my profile page and cover letters to clients?

-What are some general things that you have learned in the past that you think a new freelancer could benefit from?

I know some of these questions may seem dumb, and I probably seem a little anxious about all of this (because I am), but I would greatly appreciate advice from all of you successful freelancers! I have so much ambition and motivation to get my writing to take off, and to hopefully make a living as a freelancer and blogger!

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Amanda, asking questions is never dumb.  Not asking and getting sucked in to something messy is dumb. Put your writing on your portfolio and refer potential clients to that work.  Don't worry about putting your college on your profile - I actually got a long term job because the client had also graduated from my school.The only thing about your blog is that there should NOT be any way for a potential client to contact you directly through the blog as that would be against the Terms of Service.

Red flags - clients who want to interview you through Hangouts or other sites.  When you are  new, keep all conversation through Upwork; clients who want to send you $$ through Paypal or by check or whatever to set up an office; any offer of payment off of the platform.

A client  initially only see the first line or two of your profile and also of your proposal.  Make those first two lines about your skills and expertise (profile) or about how you can efficiently and expertly handle the job (proposals).  Be sure you read everything Upwork has in the help section and be sure you understand it.  Feel free to ask questions in the Forum - those FLs who respond are usuallyy tremendously helpful.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Amanda, asking questions is never dumb.  Not asking and getting sucked in to something messy is dumb. Put your writing on your portfolio and refer potential clients to that work.  Don't worry about putting your college on your profile - I actually got a long term job because the client had also graduated from my school.The only thing about your blog is that there should NOT be any way for a potential client to contact you directly through the blog as that would be against the Terms of Service.

Red flags - clients who want to interview you through Hangouts or other sites.  When you are  new, keep all conversation through Upwork; clients who want to send you $$ through Paypal or by check or whatever to set up an office; any offer of payment off of the platform.

A client  initially only see the first line or two of your profile and also of your proposal.  Make those first two lines about your skills and expertise (profile) or about how you can efficiently and expertly handle the job (proposals).  Be sure you read everything Upwork has in the help section and be sure you understand it.  Feel free to ask questions in the Forum - those FLs who respond are usuallyy tremendously helpful.

And by the way - I graduated from IU Bloomington!

kat303
Community Member

@Amanda J wrote:

Hello fellow freelancers!

I am looking for tips from experienced freelancers on how to be safe and sucessful here on Upwork. Here are my questions:

-Is it safe that I put what college I go to on my page, as well as where I am employed? Does everyone else do this?

Yes, it is safe and ok to put your college name as well as where you are (and have been) employed. Most of the freelancers do this.

-Is it okay to provide samples directly to clients? Or should I keep all of my samples on my page? I write poetry and I have a fictional short-story that was published in my school's journal. Should I worry about people "stealing" my work?

You can include samples (2 or 3) attached to your proposal. You can also put a few samples in your portfolio. As for stealing your work -- It could happen. Freelancers have been known to copy another freelancers profile, or to copy various things they find on the internet and claim them as work THEY have done. 

Do NOT provide mockups, samples specific to the clients job, or take tests (unless you are paid for doing that.)

-I am in the process of creating a blog, is it a good idea for me to provide a link to my blog once it is finished? I also plan to post my poems/stories on the blog.

There's nothing wrong in providing a link to your blog --- as long as there is NO contact information located anywhere on that blog. 

-How can I avoid scammers?

The best way is to know the scams.  

1. you don't pay ANY money to clients, not for computer/software, not for registration fees to work in clients country, not for taxes, not for anything no matter how legitimate it may sound.

2. Do NOT accept checks to be sent to you, or money deposited into your bank/checking/Paypal account. ALL financial transactions Must take place on this site.

3. Any mention of Google Hangouts. = scam. Don't even go there.

4. Do not give out any personal information such as drivers license number, bank or credit card accounts, passport info, social security numbers, or even mothers maiden name. 

5. Make sure clients financial account is verified, and escrow FULLY funded before working. 

Take some time and in this forum and in the freelancers discussion section search for SCAMS. so you can educate yourself. 

-What are some of the best ways that I can improve my profile page and cover letters to clients?

-What are some general things that you have learned in the past that you think a new freelancer could benefit from?

Learn how to use this site. (click on the question mark on the top right of the home page and choose help and support and read all the information under all the links. 

Use common sense and remember - you are dealing with a stranger located worldwide, that you just met on the Internet. 

I know some of these questions may seem dumb, and I probably seem a little anxious about all of this (because I am), but I would greatly appreciate advice from all of you successful freelancers! I have so much ambition and motivation to get my writing to take off, and to hopefully make a living as a freelancer and blogger!

Thank you!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amanda, 

Other than what has been shared here, I would recommend that you read up on the resources we have compiled here to help you get started, and for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on Upwork. 

For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these
tips for avoiding questionable jobs.

Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

If I were a client, tests would be very important to me. Take a few more, but only display the good results (anything marked blue or orange) on your profile. Don't show average or below average results. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths