🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Safety of downloading Attachment?
Page options
shanti_rowley
Community Member

Safety of downloading Attachment?

Hi, 

How safe is it to download these attachments from job postings?   Wouldnt it be potentially easy to get a virus or maleware this way??

Also is there another way to view them without downloading to my clean virus free computer?

Thanx in advance

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "How safe is it to download these attachments from job postings?"

Usually safe. But not always safe.

re: "Wouldn't it be potentially easy to get a virus or maleware this way?"

Yes. Potentially.

re: "Also is there another way to view them without downloading to my clean virus free computer?"

There are ways you can "sandbox" files to evaluate them without putting them onto your own computer.

But, yeah... you're right, it's a risk.

Upwork does make an effort to make sure files uploaded to its Messages tool are virus-free. But Upwork is NOT an anti-virus company. Its efforts are good and well-intended. But not perfect.

jbosscher
Community Member

This is a great question, and I often wonder the same thing.

Upwork, do you scan all attachements? Or, are there attachments in certain places that are potentially more vulnerable than others? IE: Job Posts vs. Direct Messages. I think that it would be helpful for both Clients and Freelancers to understand where the potential risks are.

One contributor suggested sandboxing documents. This is great advice, but most people don't understand what that is. Perhaps a best practices guide would be useful for everyone.

Hi Justin,

Please note that all attachments and links transferred on Upwork are scanned for potentially malicious content. That said, when being provided with a file you need to access, either in Messages or directly, we strongly recommend running it through Virus Total or a similar file scanning software before downloading. We also strongly advise against enabling macros. 

For an overview of online safety and security best practices, please visit our Security Center  and check out our complete online security series by clicking the links below:

1. General Electronic Security
  2. Staying Safe on Upwork
  3. Detect Malware
  4. Get Rid of Malware
  5. Secure a Compromised Account
~ Vladimir
Upwork
lysis10
Community Member

Rachael R wrote:

Hi, 

How safe is it to download these attachments from job postings?   Wouldnt it be potentially easy to get a virus or maleware this way??

Also is there another way to view them without downloading to my clean virus free computer?

Thanx in advance

Upload them to G Drive and open them there.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths