🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Samples of work before client send me the...
Page options
vinluna
Community Member

Samples of work before client send me the contract

Hi, y'all!

I'm a new freelancer in the platform, been using for only 4 days and already received the rising talent badge.

The thing is, after sending 10 proposals, one client reach out to me and said that, since i'm new there and got no reviews at all, that she would want to see if i could get the job done.

She asked for 3 different sketches, which i did the work and sent to her. The thing is, after sending the last one (which took me 30min to get it done) she just stopped responding. I thought she could be deciding or not if she was going to hire me. So, i asked politely for a position, since other proposals were rolling over and she was just super unpolite. 

Again, i'm new here and since i dont get any reviews i wanted to be proactive and show her i could get the job done.

How you guys manage clients who wants 'work for free' kind of stuff to know if i have the skills to get the job done?

(even though i'm new, i think i got scam up)

Thanks !

All the best

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

A real client will look at your portfolio in order to decide whether or not to hire you.

A real client doesn't ask for free custom samples.

If a real client wants you to create some custom samples she will offer to pay you for such work.

Upwork ToS prohibits clients from working for free.

You're actually right. But since i'm new here, i was trying to to get hired, i guess i rushed through things.

Should i report this client, she have good rating and good review, so i though it would be ok.

Thanks and lesson learned.

re: "Should i report this client, she have good rating and good review, so i though it would be ok."

My general advice, if a client asks for free work, is to give the opportunity to to do the right thing. Tell the client that yes you will do that sample, when she hires you with an hourly contract in order to pay for the work.

If she does not hire you and pay you, then report her.

Click on the "Three Dots" icon on the job posting, and choose "Flag as inappropriate." Report her for asking for free work.

Thanks so much for your guidance!

I will do the right thing for now on!!
All the best
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths