🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scam (EnOcean Alliance)
Page options
mora_jose
Community Member

Scam (EnOcean Alliance)

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this method of working and just recently was contacted by someone named Angela M. which requested an interview through Hangouts. This caused a concern, but I went along and they send me this as their form of contract which you'll find attached. They also said they'd send me a check through the mail but failed to give any sort of information. You'll find what we discuessed, but I hope that you are careful and always double check. Luckily I haven't given any information out besides my name.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I was excited because I thought it was a real opportunity, but poor grammar as well as professinalism. Don't let this happen to you.

Thank you,

Jose

4 REPLIES 4
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your message. We can advise you to check out this thread where you can find all of the information needed about getting started here. We would suggest to spend extra time on the Safety First section in order to learn how to protect yourself.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Jose M wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this method of working and just recently was contacted by someone named Angela M. which requested an interview through Hangouts. This caused a concern, but I went along and they send me this as their form of contract which you'll find attached. They also said they'd send me a check through the mail but failed to give any sort of information. You'll find what we discuessed, but I hope that you are careful and always double check. Luckily I haven't given any information out besides my name.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I was excited because I thought it was a real opportunity, but poor grammar as well as professinalism. Don't let this happen to you.

Thank you,

Jose

Oldest scam in the book. Sending checks by mail, google hangouts. That should have given you enough to be not excited about it and end any kind of contact immediately, as well as flagging the client, of course. 

Also, rework your profile, you are setting yourself up to be scammed by wording like wanting to gain real world experience, it makes you look naive. (Clients are not looking for freelancers to teach them, they want a professional to do their task.) I could be cynical and point out that you gained some real world experience now, but I won't, because that's just not me....

And to add - receiving a check through the mail is a clear violation of the TOS and will get you bounced off the platform pretty quickly.

This currently just happened to me, was actually happy until to find out the whole thing was sketchy.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths