🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scam alert, "Remote Proofreader Needed" ad
Page options
bundie702
Community Member

Scam alert, "Remote Proofreader Needed" ad

It's been a very long time since I was targeted for a scam, but these folks got me. They sent me a response asking me to interview with the "Upwork hiring manager" on Google Hangouts ASAP. 

I did report this to Upwork, but I see that they're "interviewing" 15 people, so watch out if you're one of them.

2 REPLIES 2
AndreaG

Hi Bettye,

I'm sorry to hear that you encountered this and thanks for flagging it! We have some great articles available about Scam Prevention and Online Safety, feel free to check them out here.

~Andrea
Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

I’ve been flagging variations of these “Proofreader” jobs as scams for over a month but they still show up every day at least 20 times. Who knows how much personal info they've stolen from all the people who've applied to these posts. It's the same “Proofreader” Spam and Phishing attempts(s) over and over again and using different job titles and posing as different clients. They show no history, no hires, only one job posted, no verified payment method, even though they've posted hundreds for this, and shows they’ve only been on Upwork recently, all of which is an obvious attempt to hide who they really are and what they are up to.

I applied to several of them to see what was up and got a response to be interviewed off of Upwork on Telegram. I told them NO WAY and that all communication with them MUST come through Upwork. Of course, I got no response from them.

So please, other Freelancers, be aware of these Proofreading Scams. Flag them and keep posting about them in the forums so that others will not be scammed.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths