cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam> Idiot!

Highlighted
S Z Member Since: May 5, 2017
1 of 8

I was offer a position via Upwork - company **edited for Community Guidelines** saw my info.  Interview via skype.  I accepted.  Communicaotn has been thru google hangouts.  However - the job description that I signed for does not match what I have been asked to do.  The company keeps asking me for my credit card info so they can deposit money into my account to pay me.  Then once the money is there I am asked to take money out to put in another account (with name, acct # & rounting #) to their vendor.  Is this a scam?  I get to keep the extra amount that was not ask to take out.  They put some money in and I did what they said - not much money.  But now they want me to do it again.  

How do I get out of this situation.  Do I sent them a resignation letter?  Ingore their emails and messages via google hangout?

Doing google searches, I cannot find anything negative about the company or my contacts so far.

I think Upwork needs to be aware of this.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Yeah, this is all just a scam.

Stop communicating with the scammer.

Please report them to customer support.

You wil not get time or money back, but you will help other freelancers on the platform by temporarily getting the scammer kicked off.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
3 of 8

The first thing you need to do is contact your credit card company, cancel the card, and have them reissue a new card with a new number.  This is a scam, they want your banking information.  You are not to accept payments outside of UpWork, as it against the Terms of Service and you open yourself up to these kinds of issues.

The "company" they claim to be is not who they are.  They simply use a company name that can be googled in order to draw you in.  There are several threads throughout the forums regarding the Google Hangouts based scams and this exact scam in particular.  You also need to report the job post to UpWork, with all relevant communication with the client, so they can remove the post.

I understand that it is tempting to agree to things that seem so easy, but as the old saying goes "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".  In this case, yes, it is.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 8

Shari, using google searches really got you into trouble this time.

Please, until you understand what is going on here, I implore you to not do any more Google searches while looking for work on Upwork. (Look at my profile and see how successful I have been by never doing Google searches of Upwork clients.)

Google searches conducted by newbie freelancers is one of the main ways that scammers trick newbies.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 8

Hi Shari, 

Please send me a link to the job post so that I can report this to the team if you haven't already. 

Please check the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for more information about working safely through Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
S Z Member Since: May 5, 2017
6 of 8

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 8

Shari,

So, you gave your credit card info to a COMPLETE STRANGER that you just met on the Internet? And to the bargain you took money out and deposited it to a vendor you know nothing about????? And you actually, really thought this was OK??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ0OaiQk4AM

Do NOT apply to any job here, and no not accept any invitations for the next 2 weeks. During that time, come on here and just read the messages and replies. both in the New to Upwork section and the Freelancers section. Then read Upworks TOS. (twice) So you will know the do's and don'ts, the procedures and what to look out for in addition to other valuable information that you'll get.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
8 of 8

@Kathy T wrote:

Shari,

So, you gave your credit card info to a COMPLETE STRANGER that you just met on the Internet? And to the bargain you took money out and deposited it to a vendor you know nothing about????? And you actually, really thought this was OK??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ0OaiQk4AM

Do NOT apply to any job here, and no not accept any invitations for the next 2 weeks. During that time, come on here and just read the messages and replies. both in the New to Upwork section and the Freelancers section. Then read Upworks TOS. (twice) So you will know the do's and don'ts, the procedures and what to look out for in addition to other valuable information that you'll get.

Seriously though, Kathy is spot on.

I've avoided many issues as an Upwork FL when I began reading through the threads, TOS, etc. There are a number of different ways both clients and FLs try to game the system and an unwitting FL can get kicked in the pants -- severely -- as a consequence. 

Too many people onboard here thinking "it's easy peasy, I'll just accept a contract with a client" and so forth.

NO.

There's a learning curve and, in many ways, an increased cognitive load as not every client is as obvious in their scamminess as the one you encountered.

Best of Luck.