zaykate

Scam identification and prevention

I am new on Upwork. I live in the US and maybe that's why everyone is trying to scam me and steal my information. My sister lives in Poland and she has been on Upwork for a long time and she has never received a scam proposal or invitation to interview.I already had at least 2 scam interviews and maybe more emails from them. It's frustrating.

Please help me to understand why Upwork won't keep the names of the people and companies who are doing scams open. Instead they delete them and it's easier for them to continue doing what they are doing.

When someone is posting specific information about scam or fraud it is edited and becomes - **Edited for Community Guidelines**, which says that it is a violation to make a post, that includes names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing.

I understand that we need to be wise and know how to identify those scams but it takes my time. Those scammers steal my time! ๐Ÿ˜ž

It would be so much easier to have a database with their names, emails, skype addresses, company names.

8 REPLIES 8
colettelewis

Kateryna,

I will pm you my link to translation scammers and you will see why it is quite impossible for Upwork to cut them off at source. There are thousands of them. One just has to grow BS antennae and report the scammers when they show up on the site.

Thanks for the link!
I didn't know what the button "Accept" mean so I accidentally accepted your answer as solution.

There's no ultimate solution to this except being careful every day.

However, there really IS a solution. Upwork simply needs to include a "Report" button. It wouldn't be hard to mimic what Match.com is doing. It's easy to report and, if you look again, those bogus scam profiles are gone, often, within hours. Upwork chooses not to add that, I suspect, because it looks bad for business.

Hi Julie,

To clarify, users can use the flag as inappropriate link displayed on all job posts to report a job to our team. Also, individual messages can be reported by clicking the cogwheel > Report tab, and users can report a violation directly to our team by submitting a support request.

Untitled
petra_r

@Kateryna M wrote:

Please help me to understand why Upwork won't keep the names of the people and companies who are doing scams open. Instead they delete them and it's easier for them to continue doing what they are doing.

When someone is posting specific information about scam or fraud it is edited and becomes - **Edited for Community Guidelines**,

This is because the names are (obviously) fake and Upwork would much rather not be sued by the REAL companies with that name for slander if they allow slanderous allegations being posted on their forum.

OBVIOUSLY those scammers use names of "real" companies to lull naive newbies into a false sense of security.

The stated name of a scammer is totally irrelevant, as it is (of course) fake.

Of course I understand that the names are fake. But I can see that more than 50 ppeople have submitted their offers to a scammer and if I was notified by upwork something like "Careful, someone have reported this job to be a scam", wouldn't it be so much easier!?

Also if I could enter in search on Upwork someone's skype or email and see that other people are saying recently that it's a scam, I would decide to myself if I really want to deal with them.

Exactly. Based on the timing, I likely know what post you're talking about. So dozens of us wasted precious time going down another scam rabbit hole. Upwork could do better. Simply add a Report button. 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kateryna,

I've checked and can confirm you had communicated with a few scam clients who invited you to submit a proposal for their job. I asked our team to address the client from your most recent conversation and confirm the earlier clients were already addressed. I'm sorry about these incidents and I can assure you our team is working hard to identify and remove fraudulent jobs and clients from the platform as soon as possible. We can't share personal details in the Community and for freelancers it's more productive to pay attention to other important details that can help them confirm whether a job/client is legitimate or not.

In order to work safely on Upwork and avoid scam jobs, freelancers only need to work in line with our ToS. Accepting to get paid only through Upwork, starting work only once a contract is created on Upwork, covered by one of our Payment Protection programs, and never paying a fee in order to get hired or start working is enough to ensure that a freelancer will use Upwork safely and avoid getting scammed.

Please review the safety tips we shared here in order to be able to recognize an illegitimate offer/job and work securely on Upwork.

Untitled