🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scam job postings
Page options
2a699366
Community Member

Scam job postings

Hi, 

I'm new to Upwork and have diligently been submitting about two job proposals a day while looking for work. 

Only thing is, almost every day after carefully crafting a thoughtful proposal tailored to the client's needs, I either get the same generic reply (which happens to be sent on the same diagonally-striped in the corners page) asking for a meeting on either Google Hangouts or Skype -- I reply giving them the benefit of the doubt, that it is definitely easier and preferable to remain within the platforms offered by Upwork, and I will look forward to hearing from them that way. The first one I reported, then I usually get a message saying the job has been withdrawn.

Or, I get a message from Upwork saying the job posting has been withdrawn. 

I am making my best efforts to see it all as a positive opportunity for me to hone my proposal letters and communication, but it seems like 9 out of 10 jobs are scams/ offered by people who have no idea how this works. This is very disheartening. Are there any actual jobs for people new to Upwork? What is the ratio approximately...? ie., one real job per eight to ten posts? I have always heard how great Upwork is and what a step above the other freelance platforms they are, but I'm finding it really tough.

Please don't think I am complaining, I understand how difficult it must be keeping everything fair for everybody, and I have been super impressed with the advice and tutoring offered. Thank you!

I guess because I am new to it all  I am trying to understand the commonality of the "false positives."

If anyone could shed some light on this for me, I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hassantarique
Community Member

Hi,

I am also very new the freelancing world. But luckily, I got three projects in my first month itself.

It is correct that wrting a proposal takes coniderable time and effort, and after that, when you get to know that it was some kind of fake job, for sure It will demotivate the new joiners.

So, while starting to writing the proposal for any job, I normally considered the below indicators of that client. I believe, it helped me alot to get connected with right clients.

Client number of previous hires > 10

Feedback given by Freelancers towards that client. If there is more negativity than positive side, normally, I will skip this job.

Total spent by the client

Average per hour rate paid by the client

I believe, with these criteria in place while choosing a customer, will help you to avoid the scammers.

Regards,

Hassan Tariq Murtaza

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

The scammers go after the newbies. Don't reply to those who want to chat off the platform - just tell them you are required by the TOS to keep all communication on the platform until a contract is in place.  Please flag each and every one.  Any invitation you get when you are new is likely to be a scam - it was several years before I got legitimate invitations.  Just keep on proposing, emphasizing your expertise and your experience before you came to the platform.  It takes a while to get going but it will be ultimately worth it.

JoanneP

Hi Bridget,

I'm sorry about your experience. If you see a job or invitation that looks suspicious or inappropriate, you can flag it using the flagging option found on every job post or Upwork profile. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Joanne
Upwork
hassantarique
Community Member

Hi,

I am also very new the freelancing world. But luckily, I got three projects in my first month itself.

It is correct that wrting a proposal takes coniderable time and effort, and after that, when you get to know that it was some kind of fake job, for sure It will demotivate the new joiners.

So, while starting to writing the proposal for any job, I normally considered the below indicators of that client. I believe, it helped me alot to get connected with right clients.

Client number of previous hires > 10

Feedback given by Freelancers towards that client. If there is more negativity than positive side, normally, I will skip this job.

Total spent by the client

Average per hour rate paid by the client

I believe, with these criteria in place while choosing a customer, will help you to avoid the scammers.

Regards,

Hassan Tariq Murtaza

Thanks mutaza ther will be no scarmss 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths