🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Scam or not?
Page options
erynrask
Community Member

Scam or not?

I'm sensing red flags with the client that has hired me. It's a big job - 5 blog articles a day, 5 days a week. They claim the job is for 8 months. It's a huge amount of money. I took it and have been working for a couple days with them and red flags keep popping up. First of all, I can't find their profile at all, I've googled them and found nothing. When I ask for a profile they say they are working on it. Also, they say they are based in NY and CA, yet when they write they say words like MUM or spell favorite like FAVOURITE. So either they are foreign born and live in the US now, or they're lying. I don't know. I wish I could check up on her more. Could someone in customer support or whatever please help? I'm getting really concerned. Thank you.
Eryn Rask

9 REPLIES 9
yitwail
Community Member

Eryn, I'm not in support, but I may be able to assist. Do you even have a contract? If you login to the site and go to My Jobs, you should see something listed under Active Contracts. If not, you don't have a contract so stop working until you have a contract. Even if there is a contract, if it's hourly, you should use timetracker for payment protection, and if it's fixed price, make sure client has verified payment method and there's a milestone funded for the amount you expect.

Hi Eryn,

I am sorry to say that your instincts were correct about this client, and in fact, our team has already taken action on their account due to violations of our ToS. I'd like to take this time to gently remind you that it is very important to make sure you have a contract with a client who has also verified their payment method before doing any work for that client, that way you can benefit from Upwork Payment Protection.

I would also suggest you browse this thread which has really helpful tips and  resources for users just getting started on the platform and you can also check out this thread for tips on avoiding suspicious jobs and scams. I hope that helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask them here.

~Nina

Eryn, did the Client contract with you via Upwork?  I don't see a Job in Progress on your Profile.  Since you're a Freelancer, this post would have been more appropriate in the Freelancer vs. Client section.

Also, I'm not a Writer; but it appears from your Profile that you're quite talented and possess great experience.  However, your Spelling Test results are "Below Average."  I suggest you hide that result and consider retaking the test in the future to show better results.

In addition, you're sensing red flags now; I imagine you may have also sensed them before you were "hired."  I've learned throughout the years to run when I sense them.  Of course I learned the hard way and probably more than once.  Best of luck to you, Eryn.

This is my first time on this site, so I didn't know where to post. Also, I took the spelling test distracted and on pain medication. I didn't realize it posted my results on the profile. Thanks for telling me I could hide it. 

As for the scammer. Yep, they are long gone. Why do people do this??? It's so slimy. They prey on those who want work. Sickens me. 

I'm not as naive as I seem. I did catch on early, then very quickly the thoughts of - wait a second, this isn't right at all - came on. I only wish, I didn't waste a day.

sam-sly
Community Member

@Eryn R wrote:

As for the scammer. Yep, they are long gone. Why do people do this??? It's so slimy. They prey on those who want work. Sickens me. 

I'm not as naive as I seem. I did catch on early, then very quickly the thoughts of - wait a second, this isn't right at all - came on. I only wish, I didn't waste a day.

"Whew" about the fact you realized early! I answered your post in the client forum and it sort of explains what some "clients" are doing. As to why, I am always amazed at the effort people go to when scamming. It seems like they could earn money honestly with the same effort. I guess they see it as a way to earn easy money. Most likely the pseudo client planned to sell your work at a 100% profit.

erynrask
Community Member

Same here. oh well, lesson learned. Thanks for the reply. I did reply on your other message too. 

reinierb
Community Member

@Samantha S wrote:

@Eryn R wrote:

"Whew" about the fact you realized early! I answered your post in the client forum and it sort of explains what some "clients" are doing. As to why, I am always amazed at the effort people go to when scamming. It seems like they could earn money honestly with the same effort. I guess they see it as a way to earn easy money. Most likely the pseudo client planned to sell your work at a 100% profit.

Honest work does not give a scammer the same rush; in fact, I think to most scammers the rush is worth far more than the money they make scamming people.    

colettelewis
Community Member

@Eryn R wrote:

I'm sensing red flags with the client that has hired me. It's a big job - 5 blog articles a day, 5 days a week. They claim the job is for 8 months. It's a huge amount of money. I took it and have been working for a couple days with them and red flags keep popping up. First of all, I can't find their profile at all, I've googled them and found nothing. When I ask for a profile they say they are working on it. Also, they say they are based in NY and CA, yet when they write they say words like MUM or spell favorite like FAVOURITE. So either they are foreign born and live in the US now, or they're lying. I don't know. I wish I could check up on her more. Could someone in customer support or whatever please help? I'm getting really concerned. Thank you.
Eryn Rask

Eryn,

Although this client may be "foreign-born" that is to say, not born  in the United States, and may be a scammer, with your background, you ought to know that that "mum" and "favourite" are accepted UK spellings, and are not an indication of someone who is not a native English speaker.

I’m well aware. I’ve spent better part of decade writing a novel series set in Cambridge, England. The spelling of the words and area were not the point. The point was, these people were obviously shady, and when they said they were American and then used Euro/UK versions of those words, it was only one of the many tip-offs I had that something wasn’t right.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths