🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Scam or not?
Page options
alliep26
Community Member

Scam or not?

I applied for a job and got a message from the client today. In the message they told me I was picked for an interview cause they wanted to move forward with interview question. They sent me directions to get skype and messaged me on skype. They sent me interview questions which I answered. They came back and said I was chosen from my interview questions to move forward. They now need information to send to their HR so I can start. Is this how it goes or is this a scam? This is my first upwork client. 

3 REPLIES 3
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It's a scam. Tip offs - client asks for an interview on Skype then proceeds to message you instead of calling - why not just message you via Upwork? Clients mentioning their HR department (for a freelance job?) and requesting personal information are also red flags.

In any case, it's against Upwork's terms of service for you to contact clients outside of Upwork until a contract is in place - didn't a warning message come up when you and/or the client mentioned Skype?
JoanneP

Hi Alyssa,

Could you please send me a PM with the job post link so I can check with the team? You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Alyssa P wrote:

I applied for a job and got a message from the client today. In the message they told me I was picked for an interview cause they wanted to move forward with interview question. They sent me directions to get skype and messaged me on skype. They sent me interview questions which I answered. They came back and said I was chosen from my interview questions to move forward. They now need information to send to their HR so I can start. Is this how it goes or is this a scam? This is my first upwork client. 

No, this is not your first upwork client, this is your first scammer. If you adhere to upworks terms of service (not communicating outside of upwork before hire), you avoid those and will not be sent a fake check and consequently not lose your own money. Nice side-effect is you will keep your profile and not get suspended. 

Read the ToS and pay very close attention to all the warning messages that pop up. They are there for a reason. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths