🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Scam?
Page options
063e8dc7
Community Member

Scam?

Someone offer me a job to download Acorn, go through the process of investing money, and report the entire process to them. They said they'd send me $5 to invest. Is this a scammer?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dd63c576
Community Member

Kennedy J wrote:

Someone offer me a job to download Acorn, go through the process of investing money, and report the entire process to them. They said they'd send me $5 to invest. Is this a scammer?

Kennedy,

Is this a question Hehe?

Yes that is scammer for sure. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dd63c576
Community Member

Kennedy J wrote:

Kennedy,

Is this a question Hehe?

Yes that is scammer for sure. 

Haha thank you!

Kennedy, product testing and app testing are real jobs.

But how would a real client go about it?

A real client would hire you using an hourly contract.

You would log your time while downloading the app and writing about your experience while using it.

The client would provide you with a credit card number or bank account number that you would enter for "your" payment method. These would be test account numbers or sandbox numbers specifically set up for product testing purposes. You would not be asked to use your own financial account(s).

Did the client who hired you do these things, as I described?
If so, then this was not a scammer.

j_wallace_jr
Community Member

Maybe they are a Nigerian Prince, and if you deposit $1,000 in your bank account, it will magically free up their money and allow them to give you $100,000

cnbutterfield
Community Member

This is literally 90% of the jobs I'm seeing posted on here. And I almost got scammed by a person acting like they were a representative from a legitimate company. Very sad that this site is so overrun by this kind of activity now.  I remember when it was still Elance and I hired people off here a lot for various freelance jobs with my company.

I agree. I am a new freelancer and trying to find jobs has been extremely difficult. There are so many referral jobs to weed through just to find a few legitimate clients. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths