🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scam
Page options
melissaclark1000
Community Member

Scam

This particular scam appears to be a regular thing. I was invited to interview for a position I did not apply to. I almost did not accept the invite because they were not verified and had no reviews. But after looking at the community pages I decided that they could get verified before I ever started any work and figured I should give it a chance since I have not received any work yet. I need a completed job in my profile.

This morning I get both a message from the scammer with a request for google hangout (I looked up the company and it appeared to be a pharma company in Dusseldorf-but what HR would use a gmail) and a message from upwork that the job posting is removed. ugh

Just wanted to post on here so people are aware.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I understand that google hangouts is clearly a scam sign for sure. However, do clients ask freelancers to communicate via other methods during a job and they do it? Like personal texting? Another client asked me to use zoom."

That's a great question.

DURING a job.... I have used MANY forms of communication. Including Zoom.

Also Slack, email, phone, Skype, chat, even meeting people in person.

I'm not going to pay for something (a client should pay if there are costs involved, of course), but I'm happy to communicate via any method the client wants to use when a client is paying me.

We're talking about hourly jobs of course.

For me, a fixed-price contract entails zero communication after the contract/milestone commences.

(If communications are necessary, that means it is an hourly contract.)

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
colettelewis
Community Member

@Melissa C wrote:

This particular scam appears to be a regular thing. I was invited to interview for a position I did not apply to. I almost did not accept the invite because they were not verified and had no reviews. But after looking at the community pages I decided that they could get verified before I ever started any work and figured I should give it a chance since I have not received any work yet. I need a completed job in my profile.

This morning I get both a message from the scammer with a request for google hangout (I looked up the company and it appeared to be a pharma company in Dusseldorf-but what HR would use a gmail) and a message from upwork that the job posting is removed. ugh

Just wanted to post on here so people are aware.

It's one of the oldest scams in the book - and hundreds of people do it, so it is really difficult for Upwork to keep up. But I'm glad you dodged a bullet on that one. I'm surprised they tried it on with your experience and in your category.

Love your art!!Smiley Happy

Thanks! Predators are everywhere. Have to watch out and help each other
because good people are everywhere too.

I have been targeted by this scam five times in just the past few months. And I don't buy the argument that there is nothing that could be done by Upwork. Upwork could certainly take steps to verify the actual identity of those listing jobs (not just their credit card validity) using photo IDs, similar the what they do, but perhaps not the same, for freelancers. Or they could implement a fee for listing a job that is refudable if someone is actually hired for and does work on a job. That would also probably eliminate a lot of the fake jobs or jobs that are never awarded, which are far too numerous. Or refund Connects for any job that is bid on but for which no one is actually hired. But all of these are unlikely because part of the Upwork business model is based on the assumption that most contracts will never be awarded, while Upwork still makes money.

robric
Community Member

My profile is private because I am happily busy after nine years here.My guess is Upwork closed the job for wanting to work outside, and someone complained as you should too

Thanks! I will do that.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "This morning I get both a message from the scammer with a request for google hangout (I looked up the company and it appeared to be a pharma company in Dusseldorf-but what HR would use a gmail)"

Two key points:

Point 1:

Google Hangouts = scam.

As soon Google Hangouts is mentioned, you can simply stop communicating with those people and stop wasting your time.

Point 2:

I advise new freelancers to never google or otherwise "look up" company names.

Googling company names is one of the main tricks that scammers use to steal money, time and identity information from freelancers.

When the freelancer Googles the company name, that is what the scammer WANTS you to do. So don't do it. Instead, rely on the information within Upwork only.

I understand that google hangouts is clearly a scam sign for sure. However, do clients ask freelancers to communicate via other methods during a job and they do it? Like personal texting? Another client asked me to use zoom. (which I did not)

I don't want to but I also don't want to lose work if a client is used to doing something and I won't comply so they dump me.

In regards No.2, I can see that my looking up that company was pointless because it clearly was a real company but had nothing to do with the Felicity person messaging me on upwork. I wasted those moments.

thanks for your message

Melissa,

There is no reason not to communicate with a client privately and it is allowed on Upwork. What is not allowed, is to be paid in any other way than through Upwork. 

I would suggest, you read a little more about how the site works, if only to avoid any more scammy people posing as clients. Thinking they are above reading the small print is a mistake that many well-qualified newcomers make: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

re: "I understand that google hangouts is clearly a scam sign for sure. However, do clients ask freelancers to communicate via other methods during a job and they do it? Like personal texting? Another client asked me to use zoom."

That's a great question.

DURING a job.... I have used MANY forms of communication. Including Zoom.

Also Slack, email, phone, Skype, chat, even meeting people in person.

I'm not going to pay for something (a client should pay if there are costs involved, of course), but I'm happy to communicate via any method the client wants to use when a client is paying me.

We're talking about hourly jobs of course.

For me, a fixed-price contract entails zero communication after the contract/milestone commences.

@Preston H wrote:

[..] 

Absolute rubbish!!

Preston I really wonder sometimes what freelancing planet you are on. Most of my work is on a fixed-rate basis and for the most part (unless it is a really short project)  this entails communication at some point with a client, and sometimes ongoing communication, particularly if one is editing a book or translating a lengthy or complicated text.  

Nichola:

I said this is the way it is "for me."

This isn't a rule that applies to everybody.

For me, a fixed-price contract/milestone means having a specified task, which I can accomplish using the input files and instructions available at the beginning of the contract.

Any communications with a client would require additional time on my part. Which is why I said if communications are required with the client, that should be an hourly contract. With an hourly contract, the client can spend as much time as he wants talking to me via email, phone, skype, etc.

But that doesn't mean everybody works that way. And it doesn't mean everybody should work that way.

These scammers are now using Dropbox. My sure sign is payment isn't verified. I now don't bid on anything without payment verification even if it means passing up a legimate bid. 

I'm also getting messages saying they've reconsidered my bid and direct me to Dropbox. The sticking point is I never bid. 

I'm recognizing the RFP wordage and know to avoid them, but these people are clever and will change their tactics again so keep an eye out. Upwork isn't stopping all of them so the responsibility is on us. 

Please elaborate how using a Hangouts can be a scam? I really wanna know.

Hi Lester,

Check out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Lester B wrote:

Please elaborate how using a Hangouts can be a scam? I really wanna know.

Google Hangouts in itself is not a scam. But there are hundreds of scammers who make use of it. This type of scammer used to use of Yahoo a lot, but then turned to Google Hangouts. If you go to the Google Hangouts forum (with the appropriate keyword) you will learn a great deal more. It really beggars belief the sort of stuff people will fall for. One woman there complained she lost $24,000. 

hissa725
Community Member

Hi, everyone. Look my message!

**Edited for Community Guidelines** is an account broker! He made an account and sold it to few guys.

Once he sold the account, and a few days later he took it again and sold to another guy, in this way he earned money.

So the account **Edited for Community Guidelines** is used by another guy now. 

You can confirm it his profile is changed continuously because several guys have different skills.

Let's hold his account!

Cheers!

Hi Hissa,

Thanks for reporting this. We have forwarded this to the team for further investigation.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
colleen-watson
Community Member

Just had the same thing happen! I tried to video chat the guy and he was a completely different person than his “suit and tie corporate guy” profile picture. Haha. The scam is they are offering $20/hour and will direct deposit into your account. I called him out in being a scammer, and he was not happy.

Hi Colleen,

Feel free to send me a PM (click on my name) with the job posting link and our team will investigate the client further. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them here, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you! I’m sure their job post has been deleted already. I’ll send you some screen shots of the original message I received through Upwork messenger.

I also want to add to this thread about Google Hangout Scam.  I received a text message from a pharmaceutical company saying they reviewed my profile in UpWork and want to set up an interview.  I asked why this is not going through UpWork and their reply was that they contacted Upwork first and got a list of candidates for the Administrative Assistant job, paying $45 an hour.  It didn't feel right, however being new to UpWork, I thought it was ok to interview via other means like Skype, etc.  After a lengthy interview and being told I was hired the next day they proceeded to ask for information to mail a check so I can purchase home office equipments.  That is when I disconnected the communication with them.  Unfortunately, I clicked on their link to their site and they have my email and mailing address.  The scam is still going on. 😞    

afkramer
Community Member

Hello,

Thanks for the post. I've been in talks with this "company" **Edited for Community Guidelines** for over a week now. A guy by the name of **Edited for Community Guidelines** is who I've been in contact with via Google Hangouts. I even went as far as signing their proposed Employment Letter and Letter of Obligation (both are attatched below). I've been skeptical the entire time but I have to give them credit.. It seemed totally legit. Everything from their interview to the offer, to their described training course and detailed instructions about the job and company. 

As I currently write this, they are sending me a check to my address to pay for the materials and software needed to do the job they hired me for which was a marketing role.. This was the ultimate red flag for me. 

I've been searching all over the internet to verify this company and even though they have website and such, this is what I've been looking for. Someone stating that this is a complete scam and that they have also been contacted by them. 

I will cease all contact. Any other recommendations moving forward? 

Thanks again. 

Yes, they have a complex system. They told me that they wanted to set up direct deposit...so, I think that would be their next step, to get your banking info.

I’ve reported them to Upwork, so I guess that it all I can do. I never did get any further than the initial messaging, thankfully.

Yikes.. Everyting was pretty straightforward until they told me yesterday that they would be sending me a check to cover the cost of materials and software needed such as: a macbook pro, HP Laserjet Printer, a time tracker with fast internet connection, specific software programs, etc. 

Thanks for reportng them! Will be interesting to see how things play out for me since they have already mailed me a check via FedEx with a tracking number and all. 

Oh wow! I’m interested to hear what happens next...

WTF.. They actually sent me a cashiers check for $3,500 along with a letter of instructions on how to use it. 

uh oh! Glad you realized it was a scam! It is quite common across all the job boards, not just Upwork. I am so amazed they can keep doing it, it must be very lucrative for them.

Alex K wrote:

WTF.. They actually sent me a cashiers check for $3,500 along with a letter of instructions on how to use it. 

Frame it and put it on a wall in your office. Or hand it to the FBI. 

kat303
Community Member

Alex - Did you know that ALL financial transactions Must take place on this site? And that if you violate that rule, you can get your account suspended. If you didn't know this, I strongly advise that you stop sending proposals or accepting interviews/offers until you learn the rules and procedures of Upwork. 

Hi Alex - I think I just got contacted by the same people! What ended up happening after you received the check, etc??

Cherie D wrote:

Hi Alex - I think I just got contacted by the same people! What ended up happening after you received the check, etc??

Nah, it's not the same people. It's a lot of different people running the same scam. 

e6396361
Community Member

That's very concerning!

n_sumpter
Community Member

I just got this random text message on my cell: I never sent a proposal for this job.....
**edited for Community Guidelines**

My reply back:

Was to send contact info and we can talk via the Upwork platform.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nicole, 

You made the right call not to engage with this user further. You may send the number to me through a private message, and I'll share it with the team so that they can investigate it further, and take action if necessary. 

I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
linneahs
Community Member

They told me they were from a Swiss lens maker.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths