🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » '' Scam
Page options
haley-varnes
Community Member

'' Scam

I am new to UpWork and thought I had a great opportunity but it turns out I was actually the victim of a scam. I had no idea what to look for but they got a significant amount of my information. The person was pretending to be from **Edited for community guidelines** and I was hoping someone from UpWork could contact the company so it can be investigated. Thank you for looking into this, I really don't want my identity stolen from one stupid mistake.

2 REPLIES 2
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Haley,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Haley V wrote:

I am new to UpWork and thought I had a great opportunity but it turns out I was actually the victim of a scam. I had no idea what to look for but they got a significant amount of my information. The person was pretending to be from **Edited for community guidelines** and I was hoping someone from UpWork could contact the company so it can be investigated. Thank you for looking into this, I really don't want my identity stolen from one stupid mistake.

The most you can hope for is upwork removing that client account. They will not contact the company or investigate them.

I'm not really sure about the upwork rules are on creating client accounts as opposed to freelancer profiles where it is strictly forbidden to have more than one of. 

Also I get the impression that it's a matter of minutes to create a client account. I see very often identical job postings from different clients. Anyway, what I am trying to say is - there are many scammers out there targeting inexperienced newbies, especially in the US. Stay safe and when in doubt, come here and ask. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths