🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scam
Page options
leroydejong07
Community Member

Scam

Someone asked me to make an Upwork account for him because his own account got banned or something. He will pay me money for it because he has to work trough my computer or something. It is a very weird story and i don't trust it. He says you can only make 1 account on 1 address. That's why he asked me to make an account. Is this true? He communicates via Google Hangouts. What do I need to do? Is this a scam?

3 REPLIES 3
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Yes it's a scam and can get you banned permanently if you play along.  Block him and forget about him.

lysis10
Community Member

They need to teach Internet fraud to computer scientists I guess.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Leroy, 

I can confirm that this is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. Users are not allowed to create accounts for other users, and/or share their account with someone else. You may want to read up on this article that details what actions may cause a freelancer's account to be temporarily or permanently suspended. 

I would also highly recommend that you read up the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths