🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scam??
Page options
2ffae9af
Community Member

Scam??

I had someone want to interview me in Google Hangouts. They told me during the 'interview' that the post on upwork would be taken down due to a lot of proposals from freelancers. They also said I would not be an independent contractor, but a full employee if I accepted the job.

4 REPLIES 4
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Scam.  Flag the job post and forget about it.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Proposals aren't removed because of a lot of freelancer proposals. Flag it and move on. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Pam, 

I'm glad that you came to the Upwork Community for advice. You may want to follow Mary and Robin's advice and flag the job post as inappropriate. This will go to the team's queue for further review and action. 

Since it sounds like you are new, I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork. Hopefully, this helps you identify red flags in the future.

~ Avery
Upwork

re: "I had someone want to interview me in Google Hangouts."

Okay... that's a scam.

re: "They told me during the 'interview' that the post on upwork would be taken down due to a lot of proposals from freelancers."

This is actually a new bit that the scammers added in. I only saw it mentioned for the first time within the past few months. It still makes me laugh.

The scammers added that to the script because they have seen so many of their scam job posts removed so quickly. Upwork's operations for removing scam jobs after they have been reported have been improved. A lot of times a scammer may have a VERY short time to have their job post up before it gets taken down. So this is mean to explain that phenomenon to marks. But of course it is ridiculous.

re: "They also said I would not be an independent contractor, but a full employee if I accepted the job."

Yeah, that's not happening. Upwork is used to hire freelancers. Not full-time employees.

Anyway, why would they tell you that you would be a full-time employee if they've never even worked with you. Don't you think that companies who really are looking for full-time employees through a freelancer platform would FIRST hire somebody as a part-time freelancer, to see how their work is, before offering them full-time work?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths