🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Scammed...SMH
Page options
tlake_official
Community Member

Scammed...SMH

Hello everyone,

I am new to Upwork and am ashamed to say that I was scammed. 

I fell for the "interview through hangouts" and he got all the way to the "what is your bank" question. I am extremely upset with myself that I allowed the excitement of my first "gig" to get the best of me.

I have two questions:

1. What, if anything, should I do to report this?

2. Is there any way to receive a connects refund so that i can attempt to apply for other positions?

I appreciate any help or direction on this.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "1. What, if anything, should I do to report this?"

You can click on the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right corner of the job posting, and report what happened.

re: "2. Is there any way to receive a connects refund so that i can attempt to apply for other positions?"

If you report a job that us fraudulent, then Upwork will remove it. If Upwork removes a job posting for violating ToS (as this one does), then you will automatically receive your connects back.

What do I do in the event that the scammer removed the position as soon as we started communicating outside of Upwork?

Anthony L wrote:

What do I do in the event that the scammer removed the position as soon as we started communicating outside of Upwork?

Chances are it's already been banned.

You also weren't scammed, you were smart enough not to be 😉

For future reference

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

I appreciate the help. Thank you. 

I guess we will see if anything shows up in my mailbox. I DID give them my home address and signature. I caution my wife all the time about these things and I fell right into it. I'm pretty upset at myself, not to mention I flagged my credit report - which will be a pain to deal with for awhile. 

Hi Anthony,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. Also, the connects you used for the sending a proposal for this Job were already refunded to you, you can check this under your Connects History.

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths