🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scammed and Fradulant
Page options
053c3afe
Community Member

Scammed and Fradulant

Hello Upwork Team,

I have been scammed with 1440 US dollar they ask me to deposit , they took my id and details from upwork, why you shared my detail if they are scammed you need to track them and roast. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ask me to type manually 100 Pdf pages to word in 48 hours by restless i did that and email, they promised me they will do payment by bank wire transfer when i shared my account they steal all my money. 

These 4 ids from instagram , kindly do needful to get my money back. Karma will show you these crooks. Even**Edited for Community Guidelines** IS FAKE. 

Beaware of these Scammers.

21 REPLIES 21
martina_plaschka
Community Member

This is a terrible experience, and you are definitely not the only one. Many people have reported these scams. You paid them outside of upwork (a violation of ToS), upwork can't do anything to return the money. Only you can try to reverse the payment transaction, which is likely impossible since scammers usually make sure of that. 

virtualbrix
Community Member

NEVER work outside of the Platform. Everyone needs to understand this. NEVER!

Samer, many people work outside the platform. If you want to help people, you need to be VERY clear what you are talking about. You need to understand that new freelancers have absolutely no understanding of upwork, so if you really want to assist, you need to help them build up knowledge from the ground up, not confuse them further, or provide information they have no context for. 

Corrected: NEVER communicate outside of the Platform before hire. Everyone needs to understand this. NEVER! Now take all the Academy courses and do nothing else before you are finished with them and applied what you learned to your profile and proposal writing!

You are welcome. 

That makes sense. The key is to be more detailed and direct. I agree with you that most who fall victim to these scams are new freelancers. I appreciate the feedback.

Since you are answering to so many freelancers, can I ask you to always include the Academy courses? They REALLY need to take them, and almost all of the new people haven't, easy to see with the new badges. They shouldn't even send one proposal before they do, they are wasting their time and money. 

Yes.

1. Now take all the Academy courses and do nothing else before you are finished with them and applied what you learned to your profile and proposal writing!

2. NEVER communicate outside of the Platform before hire

Absolutely perfect 😉

wahoooooooooooooooo! so many new freelancers on a daily basis. I wish this was more streamlined.

Basically, you cant enter the platform before you do X and Y.

Lots of people have been asking for a meaningful entrance test, but upwork went the opposite direction and even removed the laughably easy readiness test. My guess is that selling connects is a nice revenue stream, or is supposed to turn into one. 

That makes a lot of sense. I do agree that it should be "gated" in a way, where new freelancers would have to go through a process (mainly for thier protection but also for the integrity of the platform). I understand the business model that more connects used, more revenue.

Right. The readiness test wasn't even a prerequisite to join, but it was part of becoming rising talent and getting 30 free connects, so people cared about it. Now you can become rising talent without it. 

I agree. the goood ole days. i started on ELance so they had their own set of rules. a loooong time ago : )

Revenue / Profit > Stock Price > Lower Stock Price > Try new ways > If fail > Stock Falls > Management....

Upwork wants to make joining the platform a frictionless experience, but they would have been doing the OP a favour (and countless others who've been scammed) by putting a few roadblocks in her way before her profile was approved. It doesn't sound like she's had a frictionless experience at all.

I agree 100% with you. Now that I have been on the forums for a few weeks, the problem with the new freelancers and the inability for them to understand the rules and other details is steep!

c0e0697d
Community Member

Yes, they also asked me to share bank account 

Never share ANY private details / information.

Payments must go through Upwork - no exceptions for the first two years after you meet a client here, even if they try to tell you that they've paid an "opt out fee" (which is a lie). It is NEVER necessary to give a new client your bank details.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Shaheda A wrote:

Hello Upwork Team,

I have been scammed with 1440 US dollar they ask me to deposit , they took my id and details from upwork, why you shared my detail if they are scammed you need to track them and roast. 

Upwork doesn't share your details. You must have decided to contact these people on Telegram yourself (which is breaking the rules) and then accepted a contract off of Upwork (which is also breaking the rules), then decided to share your bank account details (why would you do that????). Upwork isn't going to be able to help you if you decide to form contracts on your own, and they're not going to be able to track down a bunch of people who gave you fake names and contact details. Read about how to use Upwork before you send any more proposals, starting with this: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Then learn how to improve your profile so that you'll have a chance of working with real clients. You're competing with tens of thousands of other people who also want typing jobs, so it's extremely difficult to get work. https://www.upwork.com/resources/upwork-profiles-why-a-great-title-and-overview-can-make-a-differenc...

759e32fa

Hi Shaheda,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. As many have noted on this thread, you can keep yourself safe from scams by not taking your communication outside Upwork.

I  checked your account and found that the job has been removed already and the account has been blocked. If a client asks you to contact them outside Upwork or if you encounter any suspicious user activity, please send us a flag and we'll take appropriate actions based on our internal processes. Please be reminded as well that it is against our Terms of Service to communicate outside Upwork prior to a contract starting and this can result in your account being put on hold.

Please review this article about how you can avoid questionable jobs.

~ AJ
Upwork
2bbcd7a5
Community Member

don't worry, sometimes money causes blindness, but learn from it

Good luck

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths