» Forums » New to Upwork » Scammer and Liar on Upwork
Page options
chrisscribes
Community Member

Scammer and Liar on Upwork

Hi
I met a liar and potential scammer here a month ago on lead generation,

**Edited for community guidelines**

. After i submitted my proposal she messaged me and we had a training for the job. She later gave me a go ahead to do the work and share with her on her email everyday at 10am.

She then asks for my personal number; she shared hers with me on the messaging app. Later on she went silent; both on phone and messages. I asked her we should sign a contract; no response from her for three weeks. Today she messages me and tells me we agreed on commission, which is a lie. In any case no payment was received.She then says she doesn't want to work anymore and blocks me...☺️

I have all the messages saved on my phone on our conversations

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Christine S wrote:

Without a contract the client couldn't pay you even if she wanted to.

In future, don't start working until you've been hired.

Yes i agree with you.

JoanneP

Hi Christine,

I'd like to check this for you. Could you please send me a PM with more information so I can check? Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
a_lipsey
Community Member

Christine S wrote:

Hi
I met a liar and potential scammer here a month ago on lead generation,

**Edited for community guidelines**

. After i submitted my proposal she messaged me and we had a training for the job. She later gave me a go ahead to do the work and share with her on her email everyday at 10am.

She then asks for my personal number; she shared hers with me on the messaging app. Later on she went silent; both on phone and messages. I asked her we should sign a contract; no response from her for three weeks. Today she messages me and tells me we agreed on commission, which is a lie. In any case no payment was received.She then says she doesn't want to work anymore and blocks me...☺️

Hi Christine,

That really sucks. As Petra said, no contract, no work in the future. Make sure the terms are spelled out in print in the form of a UW contract before you do anything. And you're right, commission is a no-go. 

Sorry you had to go through this. Better luck next time. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths