🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scammer
Page options
hjunko
Community Member

Scammer

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This was posted 4 days ago. It’s a scam. They will ask you to download “Telegram”app. and have a 50 minute interview with a HR from **Edited for Community Guidelines** They will try to get your bank account to pay you outside the Upwork. I see other posts like this from a few months ago. Watch out!

6 REPLIES 6
AndreaG

Hi Junko,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have escalated your report to the team for review and they will take appropriate actions as per our processes. Please know, you can also report suspicious user activity by flagging the job post. All reports are sent to our team for review.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
katek2020
Community Member

Hi Junko,

Thank you for posting your experience. I am a very new member to Upwork and I think I experience the same scammer today. It asked to download Telegram app. and ran a 50 minute interview session with HR. and finally told me about pay outside of upwork asking bank account. It was my very first contact from Upwork (as I am a new member). Was it a scam? To whom I need to report this job posting and what should I do with this?

Kate K wrote:

Hi Junko,

Thank you for posting your experience. I am a very new member to Upwork and I think I experience the same scammer today. It asked to download Telegram app. and ran a 50 minute interview session with HR. and finally told me about pay outside of upwork asking bank account. It was my very first contact from Upwork (as I am a new member). Was it a scam? To whom I need to report this job posting and what should I do with this?

Kate, you need to stop and spend some time familiarizing yourself with UW's ToS and the information available in the Help & Support section as well as in this forum, about how the platform works and how to operate safely and profitably as an Upwork freelancer. For instance, it is a violation to communicate with a prospective client off the platform before you have a contract in place. It looks like you have not freelanced before, so you should also invest some time learning about the basics of independent contracting. For instance, HR people don't get involved in screening and hiring FLs. Their job is dealing with employees. Freelancers are not employees.

There's more to this than having a marketable skill and signing up. Get better oriented or you run the risk of wasting/losing time and money. Good luck!

Hello Phyllis,

Thank you for your thoughtful comment on my issue and sharing the information. Yes, it was my very first proposal and I need to learn more about the Upwork policies before I move forward. I reported the message I got (about Telegram messaging) and the job link for investigation to Upwork. Hopefully, their investigation doesn't take long, so no more new freelancer like me would be scammed. 
Thank you for your kind reply.

Hi Kate,

Thanks for reporting this to us. You can report this using the flagging option found on every job post. This sends a notification directly to Upwork, allowing us to investigate and take the appropriate measures. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. Please know that I have reported this to our team for review. If you'd like to share more information, please feel free to send them to me via PM by clicking on my name.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello Joanne,

Thank you for letting me know. I was going to report the job but was about to wait for the investigation result. If I have more to share, I will contact you.

Thank you for your help.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths