🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scammers
Page options
f26cd7c3
Community Member

Scammers

Hi, I was wondering, are the people that are up here are they legit... Are they scammers. I just was wondering about this one person in particular and I do not want to be scammed out of my work and money.
8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Hi, I was wondering, are the people that are up here are they legit... Are they scammers. I just was wondering about this one person in particular and I do not want to be scammed out of my work and money."

Chiquita:

The people who use Upwork are NOT scammers.

Except for a small percentage that are.

If you have a question about a specific situation, please feel free to discuss it with us and ask questions.

I was just wondering because this guy that I have been talking to about
starting my business seems really cool and legit that I would be satisfied
with his work but I did google him just like I did everyone else and he has
a record for being arrested just last year so I was just trying to figure
out if he was an ok person to trust to work with and to give me work to
without any problems. I know people have a past but I just wanted to be
real sure before I put my all into him & my work and I end up getting
disappointed for my business that I'm trying to start and further because
this is really important to me... His name is Elias Deshawn Miller Smith,
would it be ok if you check into it for me? I just do not want to get
disappointed at all, Thank you.

Yre: "His name is... Would it be ok if you check into it for me?"

That is NOT how this works. Names are irrelevent. It is their behavior and record on Upwork that matters.

If you are not comfortable hiring a particular freelancer, then DON'T hire him. There are OTHER freelancers who can work for you.

Generally speaking, I would recommend AGAINST googling people as a way of making any decisions on Upwork. Pay attention to the information you see on Upwork.

If you are a NEW CLIENT, then you should avoid working with a freelancer who does not have an established track record.

If you hire ANYBODY, then remember: You should quickly fire them (close the contract) if their work does not satisfy you.

CHECK BACK WITH US here in the Forum. We will answer your questions and provide guidance.

But we can't tell you about one specific person. There are millions of freelancers on Upwork. We don't keep a list of names of freelancers who you shouldn't work with.

bergantinosigna
Community Member

I as a freelancer, at first I felt the same way. I just recommend you to:

Not apply for jobs that the payment is not veryfied. 

Always work on Upwork, and be hired on Upwork. 

If you are doing a big job, it's preferable to do Milestones, and move onto the next Milestone when you get paid for the last.

Try to do the "readiness test"

Ignacio B wrote:

If you are doing a big job, it's preferable to do Milestones, and move onto the next Milestone when you get paid for the last.

OP is a client, not a freelancer!

Martina P wrote:

Ignacio B wrote:

Martina, the OP may be a client and a freelancer or also a freelancer in the future.  Ignacio's suggestions are good and valid.

Pat M wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Ignacio B wrote:

Martina, the OP may be a client and a freelancer or also a freelancer in the future.  Ignacio's suggestions are good and valid.

Actually, Ignacio's first and third suggestions are nonsense. Plenty of wonderful clients do not verify their payment method until they are ready to hire. But if FLs want to forego opportunities to submit proposals to those clients, it's OK by me! Re only working large projects as fixed-rate contracts, speaking as someone who's had quite a few succesful, four-figure hourly contracts (and anticipates many more), I call nonsense on that, too. 

Phyllis G wrote:

Pat M wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Ignacio B wrote:

Actually, Ignacio's first and third suggestions are nonsense. Plenty of wonderful clients do not verify their payment method until they are ready to hire. But if FLs want to forego opportunities to submit proposals to those clients, it's OK by me! Re only working large projects as fixed-rate contracts, speaking as someone who's had quite a few succesful, four-figure hourly contracts (and anticipates many more), I call nonsense on that, too. 

Phyllis, they're not senseless.  As noted within this Community, they have proven to be good and valid for many. Perhaps I should have worded that as such in my post .  It's a matter of personal preference and most probably varies per freelancers' areas of expertise.  

Personally I've had a couple of clients that haven't had their payment method verified (including my current one) that I've familiarized with how Upwork conducts business.  I submitted proposals for their projects as I was quite interested in them and knew that if there was anything I didn't feel comfortable with, I didn't have to accept offers.

I've had several successful four-figure hourly contracts as well.  I've also had a few successful five-figure hourly contracts; including my current one which has no end in sight.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths