🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scanned check to deposit to my account
Page options
8e639a0f
Community Member

Scanned check to deposit to my account

I've accepted a job and the person doing the interview sent me a check that he wants me to scan and deposit to my bank account for equipment and training.  He then wants me to send him confirmation of the deposit for via Skype.

Is this normal or an accepted method of doing business?

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: “I've accepted a job and the person doing the interview sent me a check that he wants me to scan and deposit to my bank account for equipment and training.  He then wants me to send him confirmation of the deposit for via Skype.”

The “client” you are describing is not a real client. He is a scammer. He is trying to steal money from your bank account.

It is a very serious violation of Upwork TOS for a client and freelancer to exchange funds outside of the Upwork platform.

What you are describing is grounds for the freelancer involved to have his Upwork account terminated.

Freelancers have been suspended simply for discussing accepting funds, such as a check, outside of the Upwork platform.

It is a violation of Upwork TOS for a freelancer and prospective client to communicate outside of the Upwork platform. By agreeing to send the client confirmation via Skype, the freelancer is violating Upwork TOS. The freelancer in this situation could have his account suspended or otherwise penalized for agreeing to use Skype prior to having a contract in place.

re: “Is this normal or an accepted method of doing business?”

This is part of the most common scam on Upwork. This is not acceptable behavior on Upwork. Real clients do not do these things. Scammers do these things. These scams are the scammer’s business.

If you encounter these things, use the “Flag as inappropriate” link button on the job posting page.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Gessler,

Our team will investigate the client further and will take proper actions.
I would also like to clarify that you have only sent a proposal and were not hired on an official contract. In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on an official contract and fulfill the criteria required.

To learn more about getting started on Upwork and how to protect yourself, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Gessler F wrote:

I've accepted a job and the person doing the interview sent me a check that he wants me to scan and deposit to my bank account for equipment and training.  He then wants me to send him confirmation of the deposit for via Skype.

Is this normal or an accepted method of doing business?

Not on upwork, no. Maybe somewhere else. Don't do this stuff, you can lose your profile for a ToS violation. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths