🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Searching for freelancers located in a sp...
Page options
6665b2e6
Community Member

Searching for freelancers located in a specific city?

Prior to joining upwork, I searched Google to locate freelancers located in a specific city. Google returned a search result: https://www.upwork.com/l/cn/freelancers-in-weifang/

Does that page show ALL freelancers located in that city, or just a random selection? And is there a way to search upwork for freelancers in a specific city?  Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
6665b2e6
Community Member

Did I stump everyone?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mike,

We apologize for the late follow up on your query! A filter by the city is not available, unfortunately, but you can use the Location filter to filter per country. You can put the name of the city in the search field as one of the keywords though. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

From its earliest incarnations (including predecessor companies), Upwork has been about helping clients find freelancers from all over the world who can work for them remotely.

So finding people in a specific city has never been something Upwork put any effort into.

Upwork is sort of the opposite of CraigsList.

Whenever I want to hire local people to work on projects that must be done locally - such as painting, moving, manual labor, repair, etc. - I use CraigsList. It is totally based on specific cities, and even specific communities.

Whenever I want to hire people to do computer-based work that can be done remotely - I use Upwork.

That is interesting considering a substantial number of job offers posted up here are specific to people living in or near a particular city and requires actually going on location. Maybe a crackdown on non-remote jobs should be done until Upwork decides to filter by city/state/prefecture.

159bb8fe
Community Member

I'm having trouble understanding why a city filter is not included within the confines of the contiguous U.S. At least, say, for the top 5 or 10 most populated cities. I always thought of Upwork as a forward-thinking tech company. This would help a lot of people, which I know is not always a metric considered for companies. Let's hope Upwork finds a way to profit from that potential help.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths