cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Deposit

Honilee B Member Since: Jul 7, 2019
1 of 6

Hi.

I'm new here in Upwork. I sent proposals and one client message me. We exchange email messages and discuss the job. And then he was asking me for a security deposit before we can start with the project. Is that how it works here? Please find attached a screenshot of the agreement he sent.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

Hi Honilee,

Just to confirm that freelancers don't have to pay anything to their clients in order to earn. You will only need to be hired on an official contract before you start working.

To learn more about getting started on Upwork check out our recourses on this thread . Our team will also investigate your client for violation of our TOS and proper actions will be taken. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
3 of 6

Honilee B wrote:

Hi.

I'm new here in Upwork. I sent proposals and one client message me. We exchange email messages and discuss the job. And then he was asking me for a security deposit before we can start with the project. Is that how it works here? Please find attached a screenshot of the agreement he sent.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Wow, that's a new one. Scammer. 

Community Guru
Filip K Member Since: May 22, 2017
4 of 6

Security deposit???

Amazing.

I sure hope you didn't deposit anything Smiley Very Happy

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Honilee B Member Since: Jul 7, 2019
5 of 6

To be honest, I don't have money to deposit. Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

I have seen this same scam reported a few times before in the Forum. But only rarely.

I believe it doesn't work very well, and that most freelancers don't fall for this. If it was highly effective, we would see more reports of this.

it is actually kind of funny if you think about it.

Can you imagine going to a restaurant, and before ordering your meal, telling the waiter that he needs to pay you a security deposit?

Or hiring a kid from the neighborhood to mow your lawn, and telling him he needs to pay you a security deposit first?

Violates the basic logic of how hiring people works.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS