🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Setting up and Verifying a Payment Method
Page options
lenaellis
Community Member

Setting up and Verifying a Payment Method

Many freelancers have expressed hesitation when applying to a job without a verified payment method. We recommend clients to add a payment method right away to make sure you attract the best freelancers and show you are serious about your job posting. 

Check out the video and information below to learn how to set up your payment method. 

After logging into your Upwork account, click Settings in the drop-down menu in the upper right and select Add Billing Method. You can pay for your freelancer’s work in a number of ways like with PayPal or a Credit card .

Watch this video to learn more about setting up your payment methods:

Untitled
18 REPLIES 18
carahh
Community Member

I do have the same problem. I mentioned the information at payment pockets but still they keep on asking whenever I start work. I dont know what is the problem actually, it might not saved or what... stuck !!!

gnorr
Community Member

Why not require clients verify their payment method up front?  Separate the wheat from the chaff, and all that.

pandoraharper
Community Member

Can we sticky this?

c7026eb2
Community Member

I tried to set up payment with my PayPal account, but not all options are there. I usually pay through my paypal balance, but could not find it

Hi Mr,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your billing method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Please anyone tell me my payment method is verified or not please 

Hi Sonu,

Thank you for your message. I see that your payment method is already accepted and active on your Upwork account. 

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork

Hello Goran

I have added a new account as a payment method. Since it is a company account the name on the bank account and my profile is different. The similar issue happened when I added my previous method (both bank account has same name). Last time Upwork contacted me to give additional document linking the current account to me. However, I am still waiting for UpWork to send me the verification link where I can upload the supporting documents to verify my ownership of the account. Please help

Hi Adnan,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
45401c7e
Community Member

I'm trying to add my visa card but it is not getting connected. It is showing "We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank." 
I have also contacted with my bank they are saying everythhing is fine from their side even I have verified it by buying onlline and  making payments for my hosting etc.

Hi Muhammad,

I checked and it looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please make sure your card is set up to make international payments and has sufficient funds on it to complete the funding.

Please contact your card-issuing bank to confirm if they allow recurring transactions on your debit cards as Upwork payments are classified as ‘recurring’.

~ Nikola
Upwork
15e80fcf
Community Member

Is there an automated way to verify a payment method...?

My account is suspended for no payment method, and I have three payment methods on file... 

This video looks a bit dated, so sorry for asking what I am guessing is a stupid question.

How can we get actual support? Is it always crickets when trying to get help?

Hi Lee,

I can see that there are a couple of support tickets that have been created for your case. I can also confirm that they've been escalated to the appropriate team for further review. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your case and you will be getting an update on this page once done. They will surely assist you accordingly and more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
15e80fcf
Community Member

I see the tickets are being responded to by what appears more bad AI...

Is there no way to talk to a human? It seems there is a communication issue here, and the AI systems just keep making things worse...

d3b1f65e
Community Member

Is there an automated way to verify a payment method...?

My account has 2 credit cards listed under "Billings & Payments" tab. I want to make a payment to a freelancer but card keeps getting declined. How do I verify my credit card? Youtube video on this topic is outdated. I tried to chat on support page with no luck. Are you please able to assist?

Hi Jay,

I am sorry to hear about the issue with adding your card. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
chad-lyn1
Community Member

I have set up my billing method how and when do i confirm its acceptance.

-Chad
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths