🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Setting up my UpWork account
Page options
editorzoe
Community Member

Setting up my UpWork account

I tried to create my UpWork account to let potential clients know I might be hired to proofread and edit their writing, but I got as far as uploading my photo and then had no idea what to say.

Is there a way I can view the pages of other editors, so I can get some ideas as to what I might say?

5 REPLIES 5
robin_hyman
Community Member

Zoe,

You can do a search on Upwork for freelance editors.  HOWEVER, if you copy any or part of their profile, you will be violating Upwork's TOS and possibly get suspended from the platform.

My advice:

Start by jotting down your accomplishments, previous jobs, etc.  As an editor, I would expect you can write.  Your first two lines should really stand out.  It's what a client sees in a search.  As yourself, why should a client hire you?  Do you have experience?  Are you published?  Do you have a portfolio to upload?

Once you have a first draft, do a quick search for other editors who are Top Rated.  There may be a keyword used in their profile that could make sense for yours.  

You can always "edit" (see what I did there!) your profile title and name.  See what works for you and if you get responses from your proposal submissions.

If you're ready for a review, feel free to return to the forum and I'm sure the other experienced freelancers would give you their opinions. 

Good luck!

Thank you, Robin. I am so green to this site, I don't even know how to find the place where other freelance editors have posted their ads so I can search them. Somehow I managed to find this help forum.

I clicked around but all that kept happening is I got returned to my unfinished profile, where I have only my name and a photo.

Zoe J wrote:

Thank you, Robin. I am so green to this site, I don't even know how to find the place where other freelance editors have posted their ads so I can search them. Somehow I managed to find this help forum.

I clicked around but all that kept happening is I got returned to my unfinished profile, where I have only my name and a photo.

Freelancers don't post ads but you can search for "editors" in the search bar on the site.  It is automatically set to "jobs" but if you click on the down arrow you will see "freelancers & agencies".  Not very intuitive, but as you work on the site more, you'll start to get it.  

I also recommend reading up about how to start freelancing on Upwork and everything you need to know to land your first contract, should you accept fixed price vs. hourly, and how to make sure you get paid.  

In addition, try typing in your question in the search field on this forum.  It is likely someone has already asked your question and there are pages of responses.  

Hi Zoe,

You must complete your profile before the search box will be available. Once you have completed your profile (which you can edit at any time), the search box will be visible. Click on the arrow to the right of the magnifying glass and click on "Freelancers and Agencies." Otherwise, as you are a Freelancer, the default search is set to search for job postings.

To search the site before completing your profile, you can click on "Logout" in the upper right corner and browse the site as a guest. Note that not all information is visible to guests.

I hope this is helpful!

Thank you,

Mike

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks. I ended up abandoning ship and started a new account from my phone.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths