cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadowban/Hidden Profile?

Prasanna N Member Since: Oct 28, 2019
1 of 7
Hello Fellow Upworkers & Admins

I just had quick question and haven’t really fully found an answer to it anywhere yet. I have been on Upwork for about 2 weeks and new to how things work. I have noticed that when I first joined in the first few days I was getting some great responses back from potential clients and getting conference meetings and phone calls set. Within my first couple of days i was able to secure 2 separate jobs and working right now on starting the 3rd one that came from those first couple of days. This is where the good news stops lol since then I have applied to maybe 50 jobs not copy paste I mean really taking time customizing the response show casing the value prop and relevant experience and also spending money on the connects as I get lower. However I haven’t gotten a single response back which kind of perplexed me based on how the first couple of days went. In addition I noticed the first week my profile was getting good amount of views but then the next week I have 0 views.

I understand there is some sort of rotation system in place for exposure... my question really is that does Upwork have a hidden shadow ban policy of some sort? It just seems really odd the exposure and responses completely dropping even with a rotation. I have seen a couple of forums where long term Upwork experienced freelancer have ran into this but usually are either told there’s nothing wrong so try updating your profile or keep applying or a combination of both as a resolution. Does anyone have some relevant experience with this or know more about this? It just seems if a profile is truly shadow banned then you’re just wasting both your time and money if you’re buying connects on sending proposals to clients who are jot going to see them anyways. I don’t specifically have a problem with if you get shadow banned but would be nice to know if you are so you don’t waste so much time and effort.
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Prasanna, welcome to Upwork!

I'm sure other freelancers will follow up soon to share their experience but wanted to clarify that profile views metric reflects the number of times your profile was discovered in search. A client checking your proposal or your profile via your proposals does not count.

For help getting started on Upwork, please read up on the freelancer resources for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs.

3 of 7
Thanks for the response and the clarification! Look forward to hearing from others
Kelly A Member Since: Nov 5, 2019
4 of 7
No responses yet? Hmmmm
5 of 7

I have had the same situation and reached out to Upwork SEVERAL times and they have the same response. I STILL don't believe I just fell off the planet as I too received 3 jobs within the first week. It's like our profile is being hid yes and I have applied to over 75 jobs in a month and not ONE response or question. Let me know if you find anything out. Very frustrating and thinking about cancellling my subscription. 

6 of 7
Hey Kelly thanks for taking the time to share your experience as well. Hopefully more people can add onto this and validate that we’re not the only ones lol. I haven’t had any other responses yet from Upwork but I did recently slow down the amount of applications I was outputting and idk if that helped but I got two responses back since doing that. Hard to tell if my “shawdow ban” if it exists was lifted or Upwork just boosts your views when you apply less but let me know if you try it out and if it helped! It sure is not very motivating to stay on the platform when you put in like 30 minutes to craft the perfect response per application with relevant info and case studies and all you get back is a goose egg lol plus having to pay Upwork for the credits as you get lower! And just side note I’m fine with doing both but would help to have a ROI attached.
7 of 7
I've slowed mine down too. Only about 8 in the last month and still
nothing. Seems like soon as I started paying the monthly $14 that's when
they stopped.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS