cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shady Company

Benjamin M Member Since: Sep 30, 2019
1 of 10

I received an invitation for a job that was inappropriate. They included their email in the invitation and then closed the job (without any responses to their invites, from what I could see on the proposal) which meant I couldn't report it through normal channels. The message said it was from **Edited for community guidelines**. The message also looks shady (asking for my 'digits' and has 'flexible' seemingly inserted randomly after a sentence). It seems like they want me to email them and get an interview, including personal info in the email. If they went through the normal channels, I'm sure they'd get a lot of responses since they have solid pay and are contacting folks who have no confirmed work. Lord knows I would've loved the chance to get a job in.

Copy of message:

**Edited for community guidelines**

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 10

Benjamin M wrote:

The message also looks shady (asking for my 'digits' and has 'flexible' seemingly inserted randomly after a sentence). It seems like they want me to email them and get an interview, including personal info in the email.

No, they want to send you a fake check and for you to send them real money pretending to be the vendor who sells you your mini office.

One of the oldest and dumbest scams on the net.

3 of 10

Is there a way to report the post after they close it so Upwork knows the account shouldn't be trusted? I know these things pop up like weeds, but I would like to keep them pruned.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
BEST ANSWER
4 of 10

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for flagging this suspicious invitation for us. I've checked this and confirmed that the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
5 of 10

Thanks for keeping me updated!

Maria A Member Since: Oct 10, 2019
6 of 10

Just an FYI - I received the same message on 10/10/19. So I'm not sure if it was marked as innapropriate. I just joined UpWork, so I would have sent a proposal if it wasn't that I looked up the **edited for Community Guidelines** email, and ran into message thread. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 10

Hi Maria, 

I checked your account, but was unable to identify the client who sent you the same message. Could you please confirm if the client reached out to you directly through another platform or through an email, and not on Upwork?

-Avery
Untitled
8 of 10

I got another message a little while later. They made a new business account, sent it again. I think they're gonna keep doing that. I'm just going to keep flagging them as I see them and trust the team here to keep knocking them down.

Sorry they bugged you too.

Ben

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 10

Benjamin M wrote:

Is there a way to report the post after they close it so Upwork knows the account shouldn't be trusted? I know these things pop up like weeds, but I would like to keep them pruned.

They're being kept pruned Smiley Wink

you can navigate to the job post and click the "flag as inappropriate" link but chances are it's already been taken down.

10 of 10

Sounds like the flag wasn't there because it was taken down. Was worried about it. Thank you for feedback!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS