🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Share your onboarding experience
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Share your onboarding experience

Hi Community!

We’re always looking for ways to improve the experience of creating an account and getting started on Upwork. Who better to help us find opportunities than freelancers and clients who are new to Upwork? We would really appreciate your feedback on any challenges you faced while getting started on Upwork. This includes the signup process, creating your profile, submitting proposals, searching for jobs etc. We’re open to all feedback, but you can use these questions to guide your thinking:

• What wasn't clear?
  • What do you know now that you wish you knew then?
  • What would have helped you in the beginning?
  • What have you learned that has made it easier for you to find work?

We look forward to your responses and helping to improve the experience of new users.

Cheers,
Mike
194 REPLIES 194
farooqumer61
Community Member

Hello Mike!

I just started on Upwork as I have already worked with local clients and had a lot of portfolio with experience. I was curious that I will get a job instantly here on work but here I am confused because I am 3d artist and I am seeing all jobs in my news feed related to architectural modeling but my expertise is in product modeling and motion graphics. Just curious about is there any method to get jobs that fit with my skillset because I believe in quality and client satisfaction.

seoworkplus
Community Member

Aabsolutely rightHeart

078ab06a
Community Member

Can I suggest a list of FAQ for clients and freelancers?  As a client, it is difficult to discover the hiring process. I am trying to hire a freelancer and it's taking a long time, which I guess I will be billed for.  The website offers limits on the number of hours in the contract but the lowest limit is 5 hours and two freelancers say it will only take 2-3 hours.  And so on.  Can you generate a list of FAQs please!

kariithi_sammy
Community Member

I was unable to connect my virtual wallet(Mpesa) to your payments mode despite several attempts. Secondly, the idea of a must have connects to apply for work is quite prohibiting especially in the current state of affairs. The pandemic has dealt a significant blow to existing sources of fund as you can notice.

sharon0803
Community Member

Hi, I am the Chinese new user. I have something to share with you,I hope it can help you.

I think it's the difference of processing the job between the east and west.When I was looking for the job on a Chinese website,I just submit my resume to the company I like and HR will communicate with me.But when I find a  job in upwork that  I think I might be interested ,I don't konw how to approach the recruiter for further communication.I do see the "submit the proposal" buttom on the right,but again,what is the proposal?how to Submit a proposal?When we find a job in China,we just need to let people know who we are and what we have done in the past.We don't need a proposal.So this proposal is really strange for us.So I suggest that make the proposal tips more visible,so that those of us who don't know the proposal is can see it at the glance.

That's my little advice.Hope that can help.

Sharon

Sharon C wrote:

Hi, I am the Chinese new user. I have something to share with you,I hope it can help you.

I think it's the difference of processing the job between the east and west.When I was looking for the job on a Chinese website,I just submit my resume to the company I like and HR will communicate with me.But when I find a  job in upwork that  I think I might be interested ,I don't konw how to approach the recruiter for further communication.I do see the "submit the proposal" buttom on the right,but again,what is the proposal?how to Submit a proposal?When we find a job in China,we just need to let people know who we are and what we have done in the past.We don't need a proposal.So this proposal is really strange for us.So I suggest that make the proposal tips more visible,so that those of us who don't know the proposal is can see it at the glance.

That's my little advice.Hope that can help.

Sharon

Hi Sharon. It sounds like you're comparing Upwork with sites that help you find full-time employment. Upwork is not like that. It's a freelancing site. Many of the jobs are small one-off items of work,  though there are some bigger jobs too. So you're proposal is not primarily about you. It's about how you will do that specific job for the client, and how much you will charge for doing it. If the client wants to know about you,  they can read your Upwork profile.

0440a663
Community Member

I don't know how to go about getting my ID verified.

bilsim
Community Member

Kyle A wrote:

I don't know how to go about getting my ID verified.

I believe you will be prompted by Upwork to upload your  ID files. You should see   a prompt at the top of your screen at some point.  This prompt will also be sent to your email.  I don't think you can initiate it on your own. 

Hello Kyle,

I checked and it doesn't look like you are required to complete any verification at the moment. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future.

Thank you

Pradeep H.

Upwork
6fda29c5
Community Member

Not so good, so far.  I'm trying to add my cc for payment and it won't let me.  I can't find anything in your help files that addresses that issue.  

Hello Melinda,

I see that you have already initiated a support ticket for the same inquiry. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on your support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern.

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork
78e3f51e
Community Member

It have been Great but I have a question regarding a doubt . If I have not linked my bank account to my Upwork profile and I am doing freelancing so how i willl get the payment.
1) I can withdraw the funds When i linked my bank account

2) I will not ge a penny of my work

Hi Chirag,

Once funds become available in your account balance, you'll be able to use the Get Paid Now button under the available tab and withdraw the funds to the payment method you set up on your Get Paid page, under Settings.

You can find payment methods available in your country by going to your Settings> Get Paid and clicking Add a Payment method. Check out this help article for more information.

Let us know if you have further questions.

~ Nikola
Upwork
78e3f51e
Community Member

Thank you for your email 😊
almuralmur
Community Member

Hi, I don't know if you can help, I just can not see how to hire a translator!
I want to use you but I find the site very inaccesable and the 'bot' is useless!
Thanks Al

Means you can't hire a translator on Upwork ?

Hi Al,

In order to hire a freelancer, you need to post a job and invite the freelancers to apply or review the already submitted proposals.

To start as a client, I suggest checking out this help article. You can also learn more about the trends and best practices and get tips on making your project a success by visiting our Hiring Headquarters. Please note that there are two types of contracts, Fixed-Price, and Hourly contract and you can check their differences in this help article. You can also read about the valuable perk of payment protection we offer clients for Fixed-Priced and Hourly contracts.

Let us know if you need further help.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
ismailbd1
Community Member

exactly

fredrick44
Community Member

Hello Mike J. I am new to up work, I joined 3 days ago, but I haven't submitted any proposal yet, it is not that I don't know, I know how to do that, but the issue is, I cannot see the name of the client, and when I was joining I was told that, If I want to submit a proposal, I must include the name of the client.

Where do I see the name of the Client?

5fc8f608
Community Member

I don't have the best experience yet because I just purchased Freelancer plus and was not been able to see bids.
why is that?

Hi Ahmad,

I checked and was able to see the bid range below the job post activity. Please keep in mind that when there are less than 5 proposals on a job post there may not be enough information for the bid range to appear.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
janegriggs
Community Member

Hi Mike,

When I was trying to add my education, the box would not recognize my entry.  When prompted to add it any way, it would not retain my text.  There seems to be no way for me to proceed with my account being verified.

Im sure there is a work around, I just cant seem to find it.

many thanks 

Jane 

0110d700
Community Member

I'm finding the Invoices page somewhat cumbersome and unclear.  So many invoices! It's more like a transaction record of money flowing into and out of escrow and fees assessed. I simply want to see how much I've paid the contractor so far and what milestone the payment goes with.

5eddc14d
Community Member

Hello-I just posted my first search for help on a project.  I am immediately receiving options from people all over United States.  I specifically stated I only want applicants from a specific area and that I would prefer someone who would meet face to face.    How do I fine tune my search so I only get responses from people in a certain geographic area?

itstauseef
Community Member

Exactly Right Heart

anikaarfin
Community Member

Right

sojib_bd
Community Member

I totally agree with you.Thank you

veronicaver
Community Member

Hi,

My name is Veronica and I just joined this platform. There is an issue about location verification  so 2 documents are accepted, british driving licence and british passport.

I am a brithish citizen with a document that confirms so, it is called settlement status and it was granted due to Brexit.

This document has not been added to be accepted by Upwork leaving me with disadvantage to use the platform.

I would be delighted to hear a solution and fix the situation.

Many thanks,

Veronica.

dgmutai
Community Member

I have problem in taking contracts and generally getting started with doing work here. I need your guidance please

drlubnakousar
Community Member

hi please help me

coffeeanddata
Community Member

Hi Mike,

I have been on upwork for a week, I have started work on my first contract.

As of 21 May 2021 I had my contact number, and my identity verified.

I am based in the UK and applied for a job in the UK, which also required me to validate location, I re-uploaded my ID, then was advised that a hold had been placed on my account.

Yet I have revisited my account and everything seems ok.

I have now been advised that for the USA Patriot Act I need re-provide my details.

Things should really not be this difficult, and being asked to share my ID again less than 24 hours after you approved and video verified me, does not feel quite right.

I am especially concerned due to identify fraud mainly.

Hi Chima,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with the team handling your case and all limitations should now be removed from your profile.

Additionally, please know that as part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, verification is sometimes required more than once. We do try to avoid doing this repeatedly and apologize for the inconvenience it may cause. You can find more information about different types of verification here

Also, I could see that you just recently closed your account. Please know that freelancers aren’t allowed to have multiple accounts as this is a serious violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.  If your account is closed, you can always contact us and we can reopen the account for you. 

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
703920f7
Community Member

My experience has been nothing short of frustrating.  I need actual assistance and I don't have time to sort through the endless forums.  What seems to be the problem of actually posting your phone number?

I am being overbilled, I have no way to edit the contract and the entire process is leaving me wishing I had never started.

How's that for my onboarding experience/?

Hi Tracy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page. Please consider following up on the ticket so that our team can assist you further.

~ Nikola
Upwork

I need a refund from Upwork.  the contract was supposed to be for 20 per hour.  You are charging me for the hourly rate and the salary rate.  Since there is no customer support what do you ecpect me to do?

Tracy

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths