Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your onboarding experience

petrovicmarija98
Marija P Member Since: Oct 30, 2020
91 of 194

Hi, 

I am new on Upwork and for now everything is ok - exept one thing.

I didn't get my 20 free Connects. I saw some suggestions for solving this problem, I asked upwork bot - but problem is still here. It would be great to have some instructions about connects. 

andregutierrez22
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
92 of 194

Hi Marija,

I apologize for the delay in my response. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further. You'll be able to access your ticket here.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
835c562b
Yaroslav G Member Since: Oct 31, 2020
93 of 194

I believe that upwork made a big mistake by implementing "20 connects for beginners" policy.

It can be argued that this is a good method of weeding out low-skilled freelancers.

Let's calculate a bit.

What I've seen so far, most jobs require 6 connects to apply. A new user may pay not much attention to it and spend all his connects by applying to 4-5 jobs he found interesting. What are the chances that he will get hired? Considering that many jobs boast 10-15 applicants and that most employers will ignore freelancer without rating. What if he was unlucky to join upwork on weekend when less employers but more freelancers are active?

If a person doesn't want to pay from his credit card just to start working, does it indicate that he is low-skilled? Freelancers join platforms to earn money, not to spend.

However I would like to congratulate upwork on acqusition of Fiverr's Gigs model. I was trying to create a Gig there and it failed at the first page and support didn't react for 3 days already. Was glad to see that your engine works fine, despite being very similar to theirs.

tommydesign78
Michael Tommy H Member Since: Oct 23, 2020
94 of 194

my Upwork experience has not been great. i'm new to Upwork. i still haven't gotten anywork on this site. all i've done is pay upwork? please help.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
95 of 194

@tommydesign78 wrote:

my Upwork experience has not been great. i'm new to Upwork. i still haven't gotten anywork on this site. all i've done is pay upwork? please help.

Michael,

You received some decent advice in this post: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Maximum-usage-of-being-a-Freelancer-on-the-Upwork-platfo...

As freelancers we are on our own, so the only help you'll get is good advice from well-established freelancers who have figured out how to make it work. All that said, The graphic design category is bloated/flooded, with many more joining every day.

Along with the thousands of experienced graphic designers you're competing against, there are many "designers" on this site who have no experience (and no business being here), but have figured out how easy it is to download and use artwork someone else created and call it their own. Just add a few words and voila, here's your logo. This usually plays out in the client forum when someone finds out their "custom" logo is being used by 20 other people. But that's another rant.

If you persevere, it may work out ... or not. Freelancing is not easy in the brick and mortar world, and even harder online, especially on a site with the numbers Upwork has. Upwork is not a joke, nor does it promise everyone will succeed. Spend a little time looking at long-established freelancers - you'll see that many do quite well for themselves. But they worked at it, and it doesn't happen overnight. For some, it never happens. Stay with it, take advice freely given, and maybe you'll get a break ... and once that happens, more usually follows.

allen-hurst
Margo A Member Since: Nov 13, 2020
96 of 194

Hi! I'm just in the beginning stages and having trouble getting my Linkedin profile uploaded to Upwork. How can I resolve this?

Also, I see there are many comments about people not being knowledgeable enough about the terms they agree to. It's always tedious to read through so much verbiage although it's extremely important. Perhaps Upwork could post a training video with a person emphasizing the key points of the terms.

Thanks,

Margo

tommydesign78
Michael Tommy H Member Since: Oct 23, 2020
97 of 194

Hello Margo, I wasn't able to do that. I had to retype it in the Upwork format. hope this helps.

-Tommy

aries221
Aries D Member Since: May 5, 2019
98 of 194

Agreed

jamro
James R Member Since: Nov 1, 2020
99 of 194
  • What wasn't clear?

It should be noted that I found the vast majority of things to be clear during the sign-up process, but I did have issues with uploading a profile picture and the identity verification process. My profile picture would not upload even though it met the requirements. It finally uploaded after I erased the background of the picture (which took longer than I care to admit), so there's a tip to fellow newbies. Furthermore, I could not verify my ID using the recognition software provided (mobile + computer), but it was verified via a quick and pleasant video chat with an UpWork staff member. 

• What do you know now that you wish you knew then?

Connects are limited and are not automatically replenished every month; use them wisely.

The hardest part is landing your first job; it gets much easier from there (thus far at least). 

• What would have helped you in the beginning?

Fully completing my profile before sending out job proposals. 

• What have you learned that has made it easier for you to find work?

Tailor each job proposal to the client's description, and don't get too disheartened by a lack of offers (but do use it as an opportunity to improve your job proposals). I also met a very nice client who significantly helped me get started (there's an element of chance involved!). 

michaelajornlin
Upwork Staff
Mike J Upwork Staff Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
100 of 194

Hi James,

Thank you for your feedback! I think you made great points that will be helpful to new users. I did want to alert you to a change we made just yesterday regarding Connects. Freelancers on the Basic plan will now receive 10 free Connects per month as well as additional Connects when you are invited to interview and respond. You can learn more in this post.

Best,
Mike J. | Jr. Program Manager, Talent Success
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS