Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your onboarding experience

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
11 of 117

Nichola L wrote:

As Mary said. The main problem that newcomers have is that they do not read the help pages and they do not read the ToS, before launching themselves into the deep end of freelancing, which inevitably leads to at best, misunderstanding, but usually tears, or even drowning. 

I 100% agree with this. When I was new, even though I did read the TOS, the most important points didn't really register - no circumvention, no communicating outside Upwork pre-contract, no accepting checks for "expenses", etc. 

Diane B Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
12 of 117

And even if the TOS are read, there are some things that we still might have questions about.  For example, I am having some issues knowing how and what to showcase in my portfolio.  My previous editing work has been with books and journal articles that went on to publication and many documents that are confidential.  I'm just not sure about the best way to put that out there.

Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
13 of 117

Hi Diane,

In your portfolio, you can showcase any projects related to your skills as long as you personally have worked on every item you add and the content doesn't violate the Terms of Service. If you've completed those projects for a client, make sure the client is okay with you posting the work on your Upwork profile. You can check with them directly on that.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Untitled
Faith A Member Since: Sep 29, 2020
14 of 117

I just joined, and I can't seem to FIND the help pages and ToS? I'm looking for just a simple overview... like when I signed up, it would have been nice to recieve a quick welcome and 'how to' email, showing where I can find all these things. I have no idea how to use 'connects', or what that means. Guess I'll just dig around.

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
15 of 117

Hi Faith,

You can find more useful information and advice on the freelancer resources we have compiled here. With submitting proposals, you may benefit from reading this Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews. For more information about the Upwork TOS, please check here

-Joanne
Untitled
Cigdem S Member Since: Oct 5, 2020
16 of 117
I signed up for a Freelancer account but I didn’t get any emails other than some password change mail etc (after I changed it).I am waiting for approval for my profile and I have put lots of information so that I’d get a response but unfortunately I’m still waiting.It would be great to hear from someone who could help, I can only talk to chatbot Smiley Sad
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
17 of 117

Hi Cigdem,

I checked and it looks like your profile is still Under Review. Please know we typically take between 24 to 48 hours to review your application and we will notify you via email if your application is approved or declined.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Untitled
Cherish I Member Since: Oct 15, 2020
18 of 117

I agree.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
19 of 117

Why not move the readiness test (which is too easy anyway) into the approval process and make approval dependent on the score? I know the results would be available on the internet in a matter of seconds, but still... it would at least force newbies to familiarize themselves with the platform a little and not be so wide-eyed and clueless. (With a special section for US based people that says: NO CHECKS!)

Regarding my personal experience: I found it easy and intuitive to register and create a profile, and luckily a real nice client responded to a proposal in a matter of days, so everything went quite smoothly. I have to admit that I was puzzled a lot by JSS calculation and other things, but after a few whacks on the knuckles by Petra I finally got it, as far as it is meant to be understood, that is.  

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
20 of 117

Also adding information about chargebacks and how they can affect a freelancer's account. While we can find information on the forums here that chargebacks do occur, freelancers should definitely be made more aware, with this information more prominently displayed, that a client can issue a chargeback and that money will be deducted from the freelancer's account - even if they have done the work - and that the freelancer will have to pursue it on their own. Upwork needs to make it much clearer exactly how far payment protection extends, not to scare freelancers away, but so we can understand that information in the course of conducting business. It would likely greatly impact our choices when we accept offers from different clients, etc. 

I know Upwork covers the chargeback on hourly contracts with proper time tracker usage, but there are instances where Upwork decides not to cover certain hours and, of course, chargebacks on fixed price are automatically pushed to the freelancer. I get the policy, and I'm not complaining about it. I'm just suggesting that the information and education about this process needs to be more front and center, along with scam job awareness, the most prevalent TOS violations, and proper time tracker logging. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS