cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your onboarding experience

Margo A Member Since: Nov 13, 2020
71 of 113

Hi! I'm just in the beginning stages and having trouble getting my Linkedin profile uploaded to Upwork. How can I resolve this?

Also, I see there are many comments about people not being knowledgeable enough about the terms they agree to. It's always tedious to read through so much verbiage although it's extremely important. Perhaps Upwork could post a training video with a person emphasizing the key points of the terms.

Thanks,

Margo

Michael Tommy H Member Since: Oct 23, 2020
72 of 113

Hello Margo, I wasn't able to do that. I had to retype it in the Upwork format. hope this helps.

-Tommy

Aries D Member Since: May 5, 2019
73 of 113

Agreed

James R Member Since: Nov 1, 2020
74 of 113
  • What wasn't clear?

It should be noted that I found the vast majority of things to be clear during the sign-up process, but I did have issues with uploading a profile picture and the identity verification process. My profile picture would not upload even though it met the requirements. It finally uploaded after I erased the background of the picture (which took longer than I care to admit), so there's a tip to fellow newbies. Furthermore, I could not verify my ID using the recognition software provided (mobile + computer), but it was verified via a quick and pleasant video chat with an UpWork staff member. 

• What do you know now that you wish you knew then?

Connects are limited and are not automatically replenished every month; use them wisely.

The hardest part is landing your first job; it gets much easier from there (thus far at least). 

• What would have helped you in the beginning?

Fully completing my profile before sending out job proposals. 

• What have you learned that has made it easier for you to find work?

Tailor each job proposal to the client's description, and don't get too disheartened by a lack of offers (but do use it as an opportunity to improve your job proposals). I also met a very nice client who significantly helped me get started (there's an element of chance involved!). 

Upwork Staff
Mike J Upwork Staff Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
75 of 113

Hi James,

Thank you for your feedback! I think you made great points that will be helpful to new users. I did want to alert you to a change we made just yesterday regarding Connects. Freelancers on the Basic plan will now receive 10 free Connects per month as well as additional Connects when you are invited to interview and respond. You can learn more in this post.

Best,
Mike J. | Jr. Program Manager, Talent Success
James R Member Since: Nov 1, 2020
76 of 113

Hi Mike, 

That's great to hear; thank you for your reply. 

Mike Miguel N Member Since: Nov 24, 2020
77 of 113

Hello everybody!

Pretty good that Upwork Staff always look for growth opportunities from get started. My experience was precise and very easy to understand from first to last step and available resources. 

Thank you for your time in ask about. Best wishes for everybody,

Ready for new connections, clients, jobs, business, projects, and more,

Regards, 

Joshua R Member Since: Dec 1, 2020
78 of 113

Hey Mike, 

How does a newbie getting noticed on Upwork if their profile is set to private? The options are "start earning again" (I'm new) or pay for a membership.

Also, I looked into submitting a proposal which cost 4 'connects'. With only 20 'connects' how are new freelancers on the site supposed to find projects or make money? (without paying upfront) Those odds don't seem favorable.

I realize Upwork is a popular site for freelancers, but from my vantage, it's not worth my time and effort.

What am I missing here?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
79 of 113

Hi Joshua, 

I have set your profile visibility to public as requested. You may read up on this help article for more information on why your profile was set to private. If you have more questions about it, please don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

I'm also sorry to hear that you find that it's difficult to land projects with the very limited Connects you have. We actually announced recently that we’re upgrading Connects to give you free monthly Connects and bonus Connects for interviews you win. Hopefully, this helps you win more projects on Upwork!

I also checked your profile and would recommend adding portfolio items, and/or certificates (if you have any) to beef up your profile. You may want to read up on the resources we have here to help you become successful on Upwork. Good luck!

-Avery
Untitled
Michael Tommy H Member Since: Oct 23, 2020
80 of 113

Avery, Could you look at my profile and give me some pointers?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS