🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Sharing personal details with clients.
Page options
ilaria_conti
Community Member

Sharing personal details with clients.

Hello everyone, I am new to this platform and I am working on my first translation project with a client. He has asked me twice now to share my personal email with him so I can send the documents. My understanding is that it is not allowed to share personal details. Can anyone advice please?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am referring to the last point made in the Terms of Service (screenshot attached) stating that Contact information sharing should not take place.

Could you clarify, is this just with 'potential clients' then?

Thank you, 

Ilaria 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ilaria,

Communicating outside of Upwork is not a violation of our TOS. But, accepting or offering to get paid outside of Upwork is a violation of our TOS.

If you were hired on a fixed price contract I would also strongly suggest sending your work on the milestone created for you. To learn more how you`re protected on Upwork check out our guide about Upwork Payment Protection. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am referring to the last point made in the Terms of Service (screenshot attached) stating that Contact information sharing should not take place.

Could you clarify, is this just with 'potential clients' then?

Thank you, 

Ilaria 

Hi Ilaria,

The explanation you`re referring to is for including contact information publicly on your profile, this is not allowed. But, once a communication has been established you and your client can communicate on the platform that best fits your needs. For security reasons we always advise to keep your communication on Upwork. Hope that this cleared the confusion, if not let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

But as per the first line of the last point in above screens shot, its states that "Contact Information Sharing: Keep contact with potential clients inside Upwork." Screenshot attached. So I am still confused as it seems more than a TOS rather than an advise.

Shahid H wrote:

But as per the first line of the last point in above screens shot, its states that "Contact Information Sharing: Keep contact with potential clients inside Upwork." Screenshot attached. So I am still confused as it seems more than a TOS rather than an advise.

It is recommended to have all communication via the Upwork messaging tool in case there is a dispute/arbitration and you need to prove you've completed the work.  However, you can chat on skype, email, etc. which is not a violation of ToS.  

All payment must be handled on the platform.  

There are no rules prohibiting sharing an email address with clients.

And if a freelancer is at all concerned about doing so... the. The freelancer can simply provide a throwaway email address (special-purpose email address). One never needs to share one's prime email address. The client won't know either way, and won't care.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths