🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Sharing personal info with freelancer
Page options
832259a4
Community Member

Sharing personal info with freelancer

Q:
Hello, I just finished a contract and my freelancer is asking for my name, address and email for invoice purposes. Is this normal? Acceptable? Should I give it? I'd rather not.

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Hello, I just finished a contract and my freelancer is asking for my name, address and email for invoice purposes. Is this normal? Acceptable? Should I give it? I'd rather not."

re: "Is this normal?"

No.

re: "Acceptable?"
Maybe.

re: "Should I give it? I'd rather not."

Alice:

The overwhelming majority of freelancers would never ask a client these questions.
I believe the freelancer you are working with is using a particular piece of software that has led him to ask these questions. Or the freelancer is working with a particular accountant who has asked that he ask such questions.

You MAY provide the information without risk of sanction from Upwork.

Alternatively, you could probably get away with ignoring this freelancer's request entirely.

But the easieset thing to do - if you don't want an argument with the freelancer and you don't want to cause any frustration for the freelancer - is to provide the freelancer with the information you feel comfortable providing, and providing corporate information or professional information for the information that you don't feel comfortable providing personal information for.

Keep in mind this: The freelancer just wants to fill in some fields. He doesn't want to do anything with these fields to harm you. So if you provide him an answer, he can fill in the field and then be done with it.

For example, he asked for an email address. You DO NOT NEED to provide a personal email address. You can provide a company email address. Or you can just create a project-specific email address that you provide to him. You can create free email addresses using many, many different services.

For physical address: You DO NOT NEED to provide your home address. You can povide a company address, a professional address, a PO Box, or even the address of a local post office.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths