🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Sharing work web design, development progress...
Page options
webwebby
Community Member

Sharing work web design, development progress on external links

Greetings,

As a web designer and front-end developer, if my client asks me for progress updates every second day by showing the web design & development via an external link e.g. www.MyWebDomain.com/ProjectName/Page.html for his better understanding to view a webpage in a browser.

Would that be ok or I shall share zip via UpWork?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Waseem,

I'm sorry about the confusion the information we shared previously created. To your initial question, you are free to share regular updates directly with your clients off-Upwork and that is in line with Upwork ToS.

To Preston's point and your second question, in case of a dispute on a fixed-price contract (dispute process on Hourly contracts entails reviewing the Work Diary) our team does review all the evidence both parties provide as well as the related contract information available on the platform when assisting both parties in reaching a mutual agreement. However, note that in section 5. of the Rules of the Proceedings of Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions of Upwork TOS, related to arbitration, it is outlined that "All proceedings will be “on documents” and the evidence admissible will consist solely and exclusively of Contract Room contents at the time the Dispute was submitted to the Upwork Dispute resolution process. Any communication taking place outside the Contract Room must have been posted to the Contract Room within 24 hours of the original transmission of that communication in order to be admissible."

In light of this, if you're communicating with a client outside Upwork (this is in line with Upwork TOS) we do advise capturing off-Upwork communication regarding important updates in Messages and strongly advise submitting work/requesting payment via the contract room on Upwork.

Hope I clarified your concerns, let us know if you need further advice or assistance. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JoanneP

Hi Waseem,

You can send the completed work to your client using Upwork messaging, or if you prefer to use other file sharing options, you can use those as well. I would just like to remind you that all payments should be done through Upwork. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

You don't need to share any work through Upwork. Don't need to transfer files through Upwork. Don't need to post any files on Upwork. They really don't care.

You don't need to communicate through Upwork. I rarely exchange files through Upwork. There are many projects where I communicate with clients only through off-site tools such as Slack or email or Skype, and only use Upwork for tracking time and getting paid.

Preston H wrote:

You don't need to share any work through Upwork. Don't need to transfer files through Upwork. Don't need to post any files on Upwork. They really don't care.

You don't need to communicate through Upwork. I rarely exchange files through Upwork. There are many projects where I communicate with clients only through off-site tools such as Slack or email or Skype, and only use Upwork for tracking time and getting paid.

When you communicate off UpWork (via skype, slack, any PM or collaboration tools etc), and if a dispute arises where UpWork provides assistance, how can I provide communication history, work progress that was done off UpWork?

Thanks.

Hi Waseem,

When a dispute is opened it will be listed under your Dispute section (you can access it by clicking on the question mark at the top right corner). Here you will be able to communicate with one of our dispute agents and share details with them. To learn more about disputes check out this thread. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Hi Waseem,

When a dispute is opened it will be listed under your Dispute section (you can access it by clicking on the question mark at the top right corner). Here you will be able to communicate with one of our dispute agents and share details with them. To learn more about disputes check out this thread. Thank you.

Hi Goran,

Thanks for the link.

Still not clear to me if UpWork accepts those communications as a piece of evidence that was done off the UpWork in case of a dispute?

Hi Waseem,

I'm sorry about the confusion the information we shared previously created. To your initial question, you are free to share regular updates directly with your clients off-Upwork and that is in line with Upwork ToS.

To Preston's point and your second question, in case of a dispute on a fixed-price contract (dispute process on Hourly contracts entails reviewing the Work Diary) our team does review all the evidence both parties provide as well as the related contract information available on the platform when assisting both parties in reaching a mutual agreement. However, note that in section 5. of the Rules of the Proceedings of Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions of Upwork TOS, related to arbitration, it is outlined that "All proceedings will be “on documents” and the evidence admissible will consist solely and exclusively of Contract Room contents at the time the Dispute was submitted to the Upwork Dispute resolution process. Any communication taking place outside the Contract Room must have been posted to the Contract Room within 24 hours of the original transmission of that communication in order to be admissible."

In light of this, if you're communicating with a client outside Upwork (this is in line with Upwork TOS) we do advise capturing off-Upwork communication regarding important updates in Messages and strongly advise submitting work/requesting payment via the contract room on Upwork.

Hope I clarified your concerns, let us know if you need further advice or assistance. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Waseem,

Hello Vladimir,

Thanks for the detailed reply, it cleared my concern and worries.

Kind regards.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths