🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Should I ask for more money?
Page options
jessiray
Community Member

Should I ask for more money?

Hey everyone. 
Here's my dilemma. I'm a new freelancer trying to build my profile and work experience. In my first week I landed three contracts writing articles. All three clients have asked for more. My problem is that one client is only paying $5 per article, the others two are paying 18-20 each. I didn't want to turn down any opportunity so early on, and I don't want to overwhelm myself. But I also don't want to end a potential relationship with a client. What if I never land another lol. Is it ok to ask at least $15 per article or is that bad etiquette?

thanks for any advice. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Tell the $5 one that you appreciate the work, it's been great, you're happy they like your work, but you're very busy with other, higher paying jobs, but want to continue working with them if they can match that. Basically, be honest.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Tell the $5 one that you appreciate the work, it's been great, you're happy they like your work, but you're very busy with other, higher paying jobs, but want to continue working with them if they can match that. Basically, be honest.

Thank you! That was my plan but I'm just apprehensive. I can't work for peanuts though. 

emmamclaren
Community Member

Ask for more because every time you work for less you not only devalue what you do, but you devalue what the rest of us do as well. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

But you WERE willing to work for little pay! I don't know who used who - the client you because he is getting cheap work, or you the client to get a foot in the door. But I didn't know what I was doing, you say, and thought this was a good idea! Now you see how faulty strategies backfire quickly. 

Now you want the client to pay for your bad strategy, when it should be you. 

The client will feel this is a bait-and-switch, and be understandably unhappy, probably leaving bad feedback. You are free to end a contract any time you want to, but I wouldn't ask for more money on an ongoing contract, unless it's over a year. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths