cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I ask the client to deposit money before hand for fixed price.

Highlighted
Atik S Member Since: Oct 7, 2016
1 of 6

HI. This would be my first project on upwork, so I want to be double sure.

I recently finished talks with a client, and they have agreed to award me their project which is for fixed price.

Now, I don't know how the system works, so I am asking by myself.

Should I tell the client to pre-deposit the money in the escrow(if UW doesn't do that already), and only once the money is deposited I can start work?

This is for my safety that atleast I can see the money is deposited in the escrow.

So will this be ok, or will it be a violation of any terms of UW?

I don't wanna have problems in my first project itself. So please help me out guys.

Thank you for your support. Good day everyone.

Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

Yes, do not start work until the client has funded the first milestone (or the entire project payment if they prefer) in escrow.

Atik S Member Since: Oct 7, 2016
3 of 6

Hey thanks for the help.

But the thing is, when I was sending my proposal, I didn't see any option to make milestones.

So is that done by the client's end?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

Atik: milestones are created only on the client's side.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 6

Hi Atik,

Before you start working on the project, the client needs to send you an offer. When they create an offer for fixed-price contract, they need to set up milestones and fund money in Escrow. Once you accept the offer, you'll see the contract under your My Jobs tab. Always make sure that the client fully funds at least the amount for the first milestone and their payment method is verified before you start working.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

Atik:

If you are doing a fixed-price contract, then the client should "fund" the amount of money that you will be paid for the work.

We use the word "fund", but, yes, this is essentially the same thing as "deposit."

The money is in escrow. If you do the work, the client releases the money to you. If you don't do the work, the client gets her money back.

Only do the work after the money is funded.

If you expect to get paid $100 for the work, then you need to see $100 funded.

If the client funds $50, but tells you that you will get paid $100, then you will get paid $50.

It doesn't matter what the budget is. It doesn't matter what the client tells you via email or messaging. What matters is the amount of money actually funded. That is what you will be paid.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS