🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Should I be concerned?
Page options
shaunabee19
Community Member

Should I be concerned?

Hi Everyone!

Today, I recived an interview for a project. After the interview, I was offered the postiton. 

However the manager explained to me that the project will require a special laptop etc, that must be purchased through their vendor. Then he went on to mention that the company would be sending me an echeck to deposit. 

Immediately my scam sensors went off. The employer also mentioned that this would be a on-going project, therefore not paying via Upwork. I've worked in the corporate world for years and never heard of this process. 

I am opting to not accept this position. Have this happened to ayone before? Or, is this a normal process?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

This is just a scam. It is the most popular scam on Upwork.

If you followed through, the scammers would steal about $3000 from your bank account.

Should you be concerned?
No. Because you stopped communicating with them and you didn't try to cash a fake check they would have eventually sent to you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

This is just a scam. It is the most popular scam on Upwork.

If you followed through, the scammers would steal about $3000 from your bank account.

Should you be concerned?
No. Because you stopped communicating with them and you didn't try to cash a fake check they would have eventually sent to you.

AndreaG

Hi Shauna,

I'm sorry to hear you encountered this kind of activity in the marketplace. I will go ahead and flag the job post and client you're referring to, for the team to review and take appropriate action. Please check out this help article for advice on Staying Safe on Upwork, and also this one on how to Report Suspicious User Activity. We count on your help and diligence to make the Upwork experience as safe as possible.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths