🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Should I do some simple tasks as part of ...
Page options
joshua_whiting
Community Member

Should I do some simple tasks as part of a tech screening interview?

Hi, I'm still very new to Upwork and have just received an invitation to interview for a job. This client says for the interview, I'll answer some programming questions, and "do some simple tasks" over screen share, presumably to demonstrate that I know how to do the job. Does that sound legit? Or does that count as asking for "free work?"

This client has a long history with Upwork, has hired many other freelancers and has over a 4.8/5 rating. Moreover, I'm comfortable doing a few simple things to demonstrate my skill, as long as it's within Upwork's rules about not doing free work.

I'm guessing it depends on what exactly I'm asked to do. Is there anything I should look out for during the interview? I'm eager to get hired for my first job on Upwork, but I also want to protect myself.

Thanks so much!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

This client is not trying to get you to do free work.

This is a real client who is simply trying to verify that you are a real programmer. He wants to make sure you are not one of those scammer or faker freelancers who claim to know how to do things they don't really know how to do, and then end up just downloading a bunch of junk off the Internet and passing it off as their "work."

This client is not trying to trick you or embarrass you. If you want to participate in the interview, go ahead and do so.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

This client is not trying to get you to do free work.

This is a real client who is simply trying to verify that you are a real programmer. He wants to make sure you are not one of those scammer or faker freelancers who claim to know how to do things they don't really know how to do, and then end up just downloading a bunch of junk off the Internet and passing it off as their "work."

This client is not trying to trick you or embarrass you. If you want to participate in the interview, go ahead and do so.

Thanks a lot, Preston! That makes sense.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths