🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Should I end this contract?
Page options
ekafourou
Community Member

Should I end this contract?

Hello Upworkers,

Being naive and too eager to start working on the platform, I accepted a contract that is basically slavery and it doesn't make any sense for me to continue.

Currently, the client has only funded the first milestone, which I have submitted, but I don't want continue the contract.

The project is just article writing and the client is funding milestones for each article, but with her current speed this is going to end after a year!

So, to those that are more experienced and wise, what should I do? Ask politely the client to end the contract? Ask politely to end our work and close it myself?

Should I say goodbye to the payment from the milestones that I have already completed?

Thank you all in advance.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
renata101
Community Member

Hi Eirini,

If you don't want to continue with a contract, sometimes it's good not to go into too much detail. You could say something neutral like "I'm sorry, but my situation has changed and I'm unable to continue with the work." That's polite and to the point, and it pretty much describes the situation you're talking about without getting into anything negative.  Then you can add anything you're comfortable with adding in terms of extra wording. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

Quit politely.

renata101
Community Member

Hi Eirini,

If you don't want to continue with a contract, sometimes it's good not to go into too much detail. You could say something neutral like "I'm sorry, but my situation has changed and I'm unable to continue with the work." That's polite and to the point, and it pretty much describes the situation you're talking about without getting into anything negative.  Then you can add anything you're comfortable with adding in terms of extra wording. 

joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Eirini,

Sorry to hear about your issue. You can ask quit politely as what Janean and Renata advised. You can also ask politely the client for the remaining milestone if there will be. 

~ Jo-An

Untitled
ekafourou
Community Member

Thank you all for your advice. I feel much more relieved now!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths